E5 bulbs

reeferjim

Premium Member
Hello DFMAS!
I'm in need of replacement T5 bulbs, and I'm considering going E5. anyone have experience with these bulbs? looking at 48", wondering about par levels, light differences, any differences really. hard to find any info on these.

There was a vendor at MACNA selling E5 bulbs. They told me that as of now, they were focusing mainly on freshwater planted tanks and softie SW tanks. I think I got one of their business cards, I can check for you when I get home this evening.

Thanks Mike
I found several vendors on ebay, but they have no par info. That's my main concern. It says the 22 watt is equivalent to a 54 watt HO. My par is 90 on the bottom of my 75. Subtract 3" of sand and 8" above the water. I'm running a 4 bulb fixture. I have to have at least the same par for this change to work. Seems to me I remember someone on here that did the change, but for the life of me I can't remember who.

short discussion a while back .. but they stopped chatting on it. Would be nice had they kept up the discussion.

Marvin was kind enough to come by with his power meter so we now have par numbers on the t5 LEDs by themselves. At the water line with the fixture 12 inches above the PAR was 120 to 125. 6 inches below the waterline 95 - 100 12 inches under the water line 82 - 85 and on the sand bed 79. With all of my lights on my par was 550 at the waterline and about 300 on the sandbed. My conclusion is that the LEDs are clearly supplemental lighting and do not have a lot of penetration into the tank the way my fixture is set up. I guess if you had your fix your six inches above the waterline you would get 100 to 125 par on the sand. I was worried that the LEDs were providing too much light if I left them on all day as I do so now I have no concerns

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555139

thank you!
I hope that's accurate, I'm getting 90 par on the sand. If it is, I'll order them. I found 3 vendors on ebay and can get all 4 for just over $200. If they last just 3 years, then I have saved at least 1 full change out. I'm thinking about getting 1 blue pop and 1 daylight, and keep my wavepoint blue plus and a super daylight to see how well they look and what the growth will be. I'm also looking into the Kordon sponsored bulbs that Mike suggested. I'll call Kordon tomorrow and find out if and when they will be available. I'll post my findings when I get answers.
Thanks guys! you're the BEST!!