DSB in frag tank?

CaravanShaka

Membership Expired
So I've been slowly designing my large tank setup for my new house (still probably a year away from building, so in no hurry), and I've been thinking about the best way to incorporate a DSB in my system.

I plan on having a DT (probably 120-180 gallons), a sizeable sump, and a frag tank. I definitely don't want a DSB in my display tank for aesthetic reasons. I will probably do a 1" sandbed with some good sand-sifting critters. The sump I am leaning towards running bio-pellets, but may still do a refugium. I dose, so no calcium reactor or kalk drip.

Now comes the frag tank. I've been thinking about doing a 12" tall frag tank, and doing about a 5" DSB underneath the rack. Dimensions are probably going to be around 30x12 or 30x18 or so, which should give a decent volume of sand. My concerns with it would be flow. Am I going to get enough flow for SPS frags in a 6" tall area without stirring up the sandbed (think Tropic Eden reeflakes size)? Also, I believe this would kill any chance of using my MP10 for flow in the frag tank, which would leave me with Koralia's or maybe a Tunze. Do you think having the powerheads sit above the egg-crate, and the egg-crate breaking the flow from hitting the sandbed would be enough?

Please share any thoughts/concerns!

you could get a custom tank that is taller than normal and have the sand portion recessed in the stand or behind molding. other than that, a remote sandbed is best as you do not want anything like that in your frag system.

The problem with a taller display tank is thicker glass and more bracing to handle the height. Going from 24" tall to 30" tall is a drastic difference in price, especially with starphire.

The fuge is probably the best place for it i guess, but i was trying to think outside the box. :)

How about this...a frag tank in a stand stacked above a same sized macro/DSB tank. You could plant all kinds of cool macroalgae (Halimeda, Padina, Penicillus, Udotea, Caulerpa, Turbinaria) and have a DSB. Maybe even some mangroves and seagrasses.

I would keep a clean bottom for a frag tank.

Not only does it keep the mess down, but if you happen to have any pesty coral predators, they have less places to hide.

I would suggest a fuge with a deep sand bed. The low flow and turbidity over the sand is a perfect location. As far as sand in your frag tank it depends on what you are growing. If you are strictly sps than i would go bare bottom, if you want to grow acans, fungia etc. i have found they do best sitting on the sand.

@Shmoopy wrote:
I would suggest a fuge with a deep sand bed. The low flow and turbidity over the sand is a perfect location. As far as sand in your frag tank it depends on what you are growing. If you are strictly sps than i would go bare bottom said:
an alternative for these sort of corals is a Tupperware with sand in it. i do this with fish i qt as well if they need sand.

You got me thinking about a sand steps design. i think you would have to use a black acrylic to keep from seeing all the smutz. Then reinforce it some how. I am not sure how much pressure is exuded by sand under water. Hmmmmmmm...... That would be a lot of sand.

Thanks

Yuki

Ya, it got me thinking about it as well. Some chopped marco rock i think would work well, kind of using it as a retaining wall. But that still requires a taller tank to get the same aquascape in the deeper section.