Dry rock

moncapitane

Membership Expired
Someone said something about being able to totally start a cycle and a new tank using all dry rock but it just takes longer, which is fine with me. Any details about this would be awesome. I have a 55 gallon with about ~70 lbs of dry rock and I would rather stay away from any live rock if possible so I start with a totally clean setup rather than having possible unwanted guests. Thanks all.

@moncapitane wrote:
Someone said something about being able to totally start a cycle and a new tank using all dry rock but it just takes longer said:
I just did this... Dead rock and sand is a new tank, dosing ammonia. I gave the rocks a bleach bath followed by a muriatic acid bath before they went in the tank. There was no seeding of the tank with any live rock or sand whatsoever. It took my tank an excruciating 65 days to cycle this way, but it did finally finish the cycle. You can get more details in my build thread (link in signature).

That 65 day wait had to have sucked. What kind of sand were you using? I have some "live" sand but i'm not sure how its live as it has been in the bag for at least a month since I got it and god knows only how long before at the store.

@moncapitane wrote:
That 65 day wait had to have sucked. What kind of sand were you using? I have some "live" sand but i'm not sure how its live as it has been in the bag for at least a month since I got it and god knows only how long before at the store. said:
Yep... it sucked big time. The sand I used was dry fine sand from Marco Rocks that I rinsed several times in RODI water.

Someone said something about being able to totally start a cycle and a new tank using all dry rock but it just takes longer said:
You'll have to add appropriate bacteria and a source of food for anything to "cycle". The smaller the food/bacteria input the smaller the cycle will be and the more likely you'll go through a secondary cycle when you start stocking your tank which makes the whole process just take longer. I really don't see an advantage to artificial cycles. Use a hardy fish and feed it. Maybe I'm just old school. [smilie=lol.gif]

Live rock cycles are really the best, IME. They get you there faster and the result seems to be better in regard to aspects of water quality that we don't really understand much less measure--aka, the mature tank phenomenon. As far as pests--yeah, I can relate, but I think it's generally well worth the risk. Sort of like driving a car in our society. Whichever way you go, a totally clean tank isn't going to happen. It's incredibly easy to infect your tank with any addition you make no mater how careful you are. It's just the nature of the beast.

"live sand" as you see on bag labels in an LFS means "probably has some bacteria on it"--maybe even a species that will survive in saltwater. Maybe not. I wouldn't count on it to do anything biologically significant, but it might.

The sand that I got at the LFS says it has stuff in it. Just curious on if it was actually a time limit on how long it was "alive" in the bag. I will just do the other stuff to get the tank to cycle. My other problem is the fact that live rock is anywhere from 4-10/lb and I am not sure if its better to buy it in a store in DFW or online and everything online pretty much says they cannot sell one rock but instead its in a package that comes with tons of other stuff and I just want one rock that is live rock if I go that route. That is why I am not sure yet on how to proceed.

Just use your dry rock, go to albertsons and buy 2 large raw shrimp and throw them in the tank...Then wait. I did this on my 70g and I will say it did suck but I knew the system was clean when I began adding to it. I dont like the idea of adding a hardy fish unless you are sure you want that fish in your final plan because they get hard to catch after establishment.

@mukymuk wrote:
[quote="Someone said something about being able to totally start a cycle and a new tank using all dry rock but it just takes longer said:
You'll have to add appropriate bacteria and a source of food for anything to "cycle". The smaller the food/bacteria input the smaller the cycle will be and the more likely you'll go through a secondary cycle when you start stocking your tank which makes the whole process just take longer. I really don't see an advantage to artificial cycles. Use a hardy fish and feed it. Maybe I'm just old school. [smilie=lol.gif]

Live rock cycles are really the best, IME. They get you there faster and the result seems to be better in regard to aspects of water quality that we don't really understand much less measure--aka, the mature tank phenomenon. As far as pests--yeah, I can relate, but I think it's generally well worth the risk. Sort of like driving a car in our society. Whichever way you go, a totally clean tank isn't going to happen. It's incredibly easy to infect your tank with any addition you make no mater how careful you are. It's just the nature of the beast.

"live sand" as you see on bag labels in an LFS means "probably has some bacteria on it"--maybe even a species that will survive in saltwater. Maybe not. I wouldn't count on it to do anything biologically significant, but it might."]

+1
This is generally the best advice and I am a follower of this belief however I'm not truely "old school". The best approach in my opinion is to get some great dry rock(such as marcorock's etc) and seed it with actual live rock along with Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria with a deli shrimp also thrown in there. Using a true nitrifying bacteria product is not about trying to speed up nature, it's about creating the best possible foundation for your new tank. Totally understand about not bringing pest into the tank and that is admirable but..... unless you QT, dip or pretreat every single fish, coral, frag and grain of sand that will ever go into your tank, then it's a big unnecessary waste of time. I dip every single thing with 2 or more product's before it get's into my tank and I have still brought pest in, it's just the nature of the beast. Here's a good read by Dr. Tim, althought he does sell a product, every word he say's is pretty much dead on. http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/nitrifying-bacteria-mixtures-work-provided

Cheers,

+1 on dry rock, some live rock and dr Tim's.

I moved all my corals and fish in one day and didn't lose one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Fritz turbo start and its worked like a champ every time I've used it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

@JBsmurf wrote:
I used Fritz turbo start and its worked like a champ every time I've used it. Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2 said:
Did you use any live rock or was it all dry rock and sand? Just trying to figure out what route I want to take. I should be able to get something going in the next week or so. Have to finish building and painting my canopy and stand and finish mounting and wiring my DIY led build.

I have cycled a couple ways:

When I set up my solana I used live rock from an online vendor and live sand it was expensive but the cycle was done in about a month. Problem was it was expensive and I had a hard time scaping bc I did not pick it.

I just got done upgrading to a 40gal and this time I used bulk reef supply dry rock due to nuiscance algae on my existing. I used live sand and tried to seed with couple pieces of my live rock that not have any algae. The result was a small cycle after 2 weeks, too small to me. I then stuck 1 piece of shrimp in the tank for 2 days and within a week I had hair algae and was ready for my cleanup crew. I wish I had done the dry rock the first time around bc it is way cheaper and easier to scape. Plus no worries of bad hitchhikers

@Tattel wrote:
I have cycled a couple ways: When I set up my solana I used live rock from an online vendor and live sand it was expensive but the cycle was done in about a month. Problem was it was expensive and I had a hard time scaping bc I did not pick it. I just got done upgrading to a 40gal and this time I used bulk reef supply dry rock due to nuiscance algae on my existing. I used live sand and tried to seed with couple pieces of my live rock that not have any algae. The result was a small cycle after 2 weeks said:
Yea, I started my cycle with dry rock using one shrimp on Tuesday. I didn't do a test yesterday but I am going to do one around 11 AM after I get home. I am doing it in a rubbermaid tank cause I am not yet ready with my lighting and tank fully as I have to finish sealing my stand and creating my canopy. I kinda hope it takes more than one week with the shrimp cause I am not sure if I can be totally ready by that time with everything.

I just turned the switch back on my 30g that had been sitting for a while. I'm going to try some skimmer juice to kick start the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk