Dosing with peroxide

mikebow16

Premium Member
Do you dose peroxide at night, during the day or in the morning.

I've been dosing for a few weeks now at varying doses at night to kill dinos. With little luck. Maybe I'm dosing at the wrong time?

Mike

First, make sure it's Dino's your after. When I treated my tank for Dino's, I uped the recommended dosage to around 1.5-2ml per 10 gallons had good success. I dosed at lights out. Also did 3 weeks of 4 days lights out and 3 days on. Seemed to clear put in about a month.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Time of day doesn't matter when it comes to dosing this. It should work within 8 days though, so if you've been dosing for weeks, I'm wondering if you actually have dinoflagellates.

I started at the recommended dose of 1ml per 10 gal with little effect for a week. Then ramped it up to 1.5ml per 10 gal for another week. Now I'm at 1.75 per 10 gal. Now I'm starting to see some large patches of dying dinos.

From what I've read some people have gone up to 2ml per 10 gal doses before seeing results. I'll take some pics tonight I could be wrong.

Mike

I started seeing visible results after about 3-4 days, they were completely gone after 6 and I dosed 8 days just to make sure. Been dino free for about a month now! But still battling annoying Cyano (after having Dino's, I can live with a Cyano until it runs its course). I dosed mine in the morning, before the lights came on. Not that it mattered, but I went with the theory of hitting them when they are at their weakest. Good Luck!

Here are some pics of the dinos unless if misidentified them

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361316832.741109.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361316844.619187.jpg[/attachment]

Mike

Are you talking about the greenish yellow stuff? Looks like some type of sponge almost. Can you scrape it off, siphon it off, or displace it with a turkey baster / powerhead?

Dinoflagellates resembled snot, usually with stringy bubbles rising off of it. Are you seeing that? Try siphoning out all that you can reach since it comes of the rock with a turkey baster.

That's okay. Did you see my suggestion above it?

I might have more than one type of algae growing some of it is snot like and contains bubbles. The pics I posted are more moss like. Any idea on what it is if it isn't dinos.

Mike

If it is like moss, it's possibly green cyano bacteria. Not dinos.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361401386.602275.jpg[/attachment]

This is a pic of the more dino like algae. Should I attack the green cyano with chemi clean then try to tackle the dinos?

Mike

I would continue siphoning out anything you can each day, which may simply resolve the issue. Do you have any 1/2" diameter tubing? Scrape away anything off the glass with a credit card, and siphon that out too. Replace lost water with new saltwater. Don't add any more chemicals to this fight for the time being.

I am having a Dino issue. What kind of peroxide should I use and is it reef safe( coral, clam inverts)?
Thanks
B

3% peroxide, the same stuff you buy anywhere to pour on cuts. It doesn't harm livestock, if dosed correctly.