DNA salt mix

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Anyone know anything about their house brand ?

I know it's gotta be OEMd from a major supplier, just curious if it's any good.

I got a bucket for free with some tank stuff I bought ...

I saw it there last week. I was going to get a bucket and then test the crap out of it. Then I talked myself out of that much work. Hah. Its priced pretty will but would have to be astounding to compete with the Coralife there for a lower price.

We got some reef crystals to play around with and see what happens late last week. I don't have a lot of complaints for a "main stream" salt.

My only real issue with Coralife is that the last 2 batches were NOT "fully buffered" as it says on the bucket. I don't mind the extra lime water, but I want to know ahead of time that I need to adjust the pH levels. Also, it seems the calcium is now on the high side on my DAS Neo 90.

I can't do the Brightwell. Something they do disagrees with me. My tanks run dirty and I end up mixing somewhere around 65+ gallons a week. I just can't see tossing $200 a month into salt. Maybe Petard is my future. [smilie=surprised.gif]

@niteowl03 wrote:
[I]@mmiller40 wrote:[/I][quote="Petard has instant ocean 42$ a bucket right now said:
This is very tempting!! I was considering going Aquavitro but I can buy lots of buffer for $45!"]

I'm tempted too. I never had bad luck with IO. Just needs so cheap 2 part. Then again I have been buying Coral pro from BRS for 60$ delivered. Counting the tax it's not really worth my time

@shse666 wrote:
We got some reef crystals to play around with and see what happens late last week. I don't have a lot of complaints for a "main stream" salt. My only real issue with Coralife is that the last 2 batches were NOT "fully buffered" as it says on the bucket. I don't mind the extra lime water said:
What do you keep your salinity at? Reef crystals buffers to 1.021-1.023 the aqua vetro salinity salt I use is buffered to 1.025 to 1.026 and all my levels run normal

Is everyone having problems with Instant Ocean? Ive been using it for about 3 years now with no complaints. Im using a 2 part buffer as well.

I never had any issues with IO

I may cycle my new 120 with this DNA salt. I doubt it's much different than IO or Seachem

Be sure to post back if you do it. We would be interested in your params after its all mixed up and how the cycle goes. :p

@sublime-1 wrote:

I would like to see someone test out the salt. IMO it is probably just some other salt repackaged. I doubt they could sell enough to get any manufacturer to produce a special mix.

Here is a pic of what IO sent to the Atlanta Aquarium in bulk.

378085107.jpg
alt="">

Check out these pumps as well

atlanta040.jpg
alt="">

@Drew wrote:
You'd be surprised at how many of these salts are made by other companies said:
Im sure. If its anything like TV’s there are only like 3 plasma screen manufacturers and maybe 5 LCD screen manufacturers. Yet there are dozens of brand names.

So far so good on DNA mix

At mixing

3-1/4 cups per 5 gallons (seems like a lot compared to the directions)

Sg 1.025
Ph 8.3
Calc 440

Did not test for Phos or Mg , This is at room temp approx 78.5 degs

It's just a standard marine salt

It doesn't hold PH well so I doubt it's buffered, additionally

I haven't tested the Mg which is a dead tell If it's buffered ( for instance my experience with Red sea coral pro is that it always mixed to 8.4 ph and always tested over 460 in calc and 1200mg)

I would expect their house brand to be the same or similar to IO ...

I personally used RO for my startup but my maintenance salt is Red Sea CP

I love that salt and it's worth the extra 10.00 to me.

Gotcha... I have been on a DFS Instant Ocean free shirt kick right now. For $43.99, you get a 160g bucket of salt, a cool shirt, and a $5 gift certificate. Add a $6 item and shipping is free. Once the gift certificate arrives, You order again. This time, you get the salt, the shirt, a $6 item of your choice, and another gift certificate for $45 shipped. Rinse and repeat.