Couple questions

What brand of salt does everyone use?
Why?
Growth rates?
Additional dosing?

Reason I ask is I'm going to switch salt brands soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Guppy Breeder wrote:
Couple questions What brand of salt does everyone use? Why? Growth rates? Additional dosing? Reason I ask is I'm going to switch salt brands soon Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/url] said:
I use Red Sea pro salt.

Dose Bulk reef supply calcium chloride & soda ash with dosing pumps. Plus dose Strontium & Molybdenum, iodide, and essential elements.

Why? Because that's what I've found works best for me.

@ERIKATHORNBURG wrote:
[I]@Guppy Breeder wrote:[/I][quote="Couple questions What brand of salt does everyone use? Why? Growth rates? Additional dosing? Reason I ask is I'm going to switch salt brands soon Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/url] said:
I use Red Sea pro salt.

Dose Bulk reef supply calcium chloride & soda ash with dosing pumps. Plus dose Strontium & Molybdenum, iodide, and essential elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]

Thanks for the reply, before you upgraded how was your growth rates?

@Guppy Breeder wrote:
[I]@ERIKATHORNBURG wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Guppy Breeder wrote:[/I][quote="Couple questions What brand of salt does everyone use? Why? Growth rates? Additional dosing? Reason I ask is I'm going to switch salt brands soon Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/url] said:
I use Red Sea pro salt.

Thanks for the reply, before you upgraded how was your growth rates?

We had awesome growth. That tank was all started from frags 3 years prior and it was PACKED with sps.

I pretty much use what I get cheap. Now with dosing ive cut back water changes to maybe once a month. Getting pretty good growth rates from sps and lps. I do like the sybon as it mixes very good and clear. Also like aquavitro but its a little pricer.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Was using Red Sea Pro, but switched to Salinity and LOVE IT ! Dissolves well and doesn't leave the residue or "film" in my mixing tank like RSP did. I use BRS Kalkwasser in my ATO 3.5tsp per 5 gal to keep my Calcium and Alkalinity in check. Mag stays stable through weekly water changes.

I use RS coral pro - got it for $65/200 gallon bag at Ocean Avenue. But RSCP does leave a residue in my trash can too, especially if I leave it in there for a couple days.

How much is the Salinity in comparison? What are the Mg, Ca, and ALK like? I might be willing to give it a try after I run out of RSCP if there is no residue.

I use instant ocean reef crystals. I'm wondering if there is something I missed. It seems to be working fine so why fix something not broke, I'm interested in why everybody chooses their brand of preference as well. I'll be following this post.....

Jason

@Jason_b972 wrote:
I use instant ocean reef crystals. I'm wondering if there is something I missed. It seems to be working fine so why fix something not broke said:
I use RSCP bc the Mg Ca and Alk seem to be higher than the others. Then I don't have to add supplements to the change water.

@coralreefer wrote:
[I]@Jason_b972 wrote:[/I][quote="I use instant ocean reef crystals. I'm wondering if there is something I missed. It seems to be working fine so why fix something not broke said:
I use RSCP bc the Mg Ca and Alk seem to be higher than the others. Then I don't have to add supplements to the change water."]

Same reason I use Red Sea pro.

I use Kents salt. Costs around $45 for 200g mix at dr fosters and smiths. Dose alk and ca with brs, but ca has been stable since August last year without dosing; mag been stable for over a year too with no dosing. Also dose iodide nightly b4 bed. Have lps, zoas, and some sps. Growth on zoas and lps has been tremendous. Montis double in size.

~Matt

Salinty or Red Sea depending on sale prices if I can find any. I prefer salinity over red sea as red sea can have really high magnesium.
I dose iodine, vodka, seachem 2 part, aquavitro fuel and aquavitro ions. Really love the fuel and ions. Great growth on everything when my parameters are in check (sometimes I let stuff slip cause I get busy and haven't automated everything yet).

I use Sybon for three years, and my corals love it. I recently mixed up a batch of the stuff from AquaCraft and it was fine. I'm about to mix up some Fritz salt.

I run a calcium reactor for alk & ca. I've not dosed magnesium in three years because Sybon has a very high Mg level.

@isaac.croas wrote:
Salinty or Red Sea depending on sale prices if I can find any. I prefer salinity over red sea as red sea can have really high magnesium. I dose iodine said:
I'm using salinity now and thinking about reef crystals

@Marc wrote:
I use Sybon for three years said:
Cool cool I'll look into fritz and sybon