Coronavirus & The Hobby

MartinMan

Premium Member
I saw Marc doing a live stream on this as well as BRSTV, but I was at work and could not log in to respond to either.  I haven’t seen it brought up here on the DFWMAS forum yet so I thought I’d post this. 
I’m wondering what impact Shelter in Place will have on the hobby.  On one hand it will be comforting to many of us to have a lot of time on our hands to work on our systems, although this in itself might prove to be somewhat problematic because in this hobby sometimes doing too much can be worse than doing nothing. 

Also I’m a little concerned about not being able to get critical supplies when needed.  I’m not sure if local LFSs will be open during the lockdown.  There might be a problem getting supplies.  Simple things like dry goods: food and saltwater to bigger items like replacing a failed pump etc. 

Looks like the tables have been turned and our fish may be watching us in quarantine for a while.  We may get a chance to see how we like being the ones in the glass box for a change. Look forward to hearing anything the community may have to say on this subject.

I am wondering the same, I am going to go out this week to try to find food and salt. Hopefully some will be open, but I think this could definitely turn into an issue for sure.

Dallas North Aquarium sent an email blast this morning stating they will remain open. I also visited Aquatic Design in Plano today and they plan to remain open. Pet supply stores are considered essential in these shelter in place decrees so far.
I plan on testing my old pumps tonight to ensure I have a functional emergency backup on hand, and if necessary, will order/pick one up locally to have just in case.
Our fellow club members will be our lifeline in these uncertain times.

See the animal in his cage that you builtAre you sure what side you're on?Better not look him too closely in the eyeAre you sure what side of the glass you are on?See the safety of the life you have builtEverything where it belongsFeel the hollowness inside of your heartAnd it's allRight where it belongs   
---NIN

I know Roberts Reef is open in North Fort Worth. I needed some frozen food and picked it up earlier. I have to work still and I wish I had some extra time to work on the reef besides my weekends. Such is life. 
P.S. my clowns are a-holes.