Contemplating Going BIG!!! 500+ Gallon

You will not find anyone probably within $1,000 of glasscages is my guess. There is a reason for the difference!

I wouldnt get starphire. That is an added cost where it is hard to notice a difference in my opinion. Also you have to be careful with starphire cause it scratches alot easier than leaded glass.

You'll want it on the viewing sides. You can tell a difference on 3/4" glass. Normal tanks I agree but big tanks you can actually see the difference.

I've heard that about scratching but can assure you it's not much easier. I've had mine foe 2.5 years and have no scratches on it and I abuse it like crazy!

t's not like you notice unless you compare. It's obviously a personal choice whether it is worth it to you or not. You might try visiting some actual starphire and non starphire 3/4" tanks and see if the difference is worth it to you. It was to me but as I say that's a personal choice.

Here are some comparisons

http://www.4fishtank.com/glass_vs__acrylic.htm#aquavim%20glass%20vs%20regular

To me it's alot like HD TV. If you don't have HD your fine but once you get it you'll never go back!

starphire.jpg
alt="">

But again I would suggest you see for yourself and decide. Starphire is about 30% more expensive.

I agree with the above about starfire it is clear and nice, but on my big tank it was an additional 1800.00, i like my green tint~

@dp1416 wrote:
I agree with the above about starfire it is clear and nice said:
:shock: Big difference. I would hope my guests would notice the beautiful "what is that" corals and not the view of the tint. I'm with Keith. It's all about preference and personal choice. As Donnie put it, I'd rather save the extra $ and keep the tint

I agree with Keith that you should go check out a few tanks that are set up to get an idea of the difference and decide for yourself if it is something you want or not.

A lot of the price increase has to do with the thickness of the glass, as I recently learned from getting quotes on my new tank...

1/2" thick glass there was a price increase, but it wasn't horrible, so I went with Starphire for the front panel...

Thicker than 1/2" and the price goes WAAAAAAAY up (As in the price went up in the thousands instead of the hundreds for 1 pane ONLY of Starphire)

Also check out Bow Valley Aquarium in Canada, a member in Murphy has a 190G with Starphire on 3 sides and even with delivery it was a much better price than some local tank builders.

Cheers,