Color Lost in Welso - Help

Rsxjh

Premium Member
Over the past 2 months by welso brain has lost all color but it's bright green. I feed rods with rods coral food twice a week. I don't spot feed
Here are my parameters....

Salinity .24
Nitrate 5ppm
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 420
Dkh 11.7
Temp 79

Lighting - under AI Vegas indirect max whites 32 with 30% coral acclimation activated.

Running pellets, 2 part b ionic, with brs kalk in top off.

Any ideas on how to get his color back???

a9uja4e7.jpg
alt="">

Based on my experience with bio-pellets.
Alk should be no higher than 8.3.
Turn off your bio pellets and remove half of the pellets.
Once your Alk has naturally fallen, turn the reactor back on.
You might consider a coral supplement like Prodibio Reef Booster till the color comes back.
Do you have chalices? If yes, how do they look?

@steelcaveman wrote:
Based on my experience with bio-pellets. Alk should be no higher than 8.3. Turn off your bio pellets and remove half of the pellets. Once your Alk has naturally fallen said:
+1

I have done quite a bit of research on biopellets and the general consensus is that biopellets and high Alk is a bad combination.

I'm 3 weeks into using bio pellets. Even before I added the pellets I could never get my alk below 10. I use Red Sea salt which has high alk when mixed.

I will kill the pellets until my alk reduces. Any other thoughts, color loss started before I implemented pellets.

I find it strange that some folks just dose kalk in lieu of 2 part. I am currently using 2 teaspoons per gallon in top off and 40 ml of calcium and 20 ml of alk. Any thoughts?

Are u using Red Sea pro or regular? The pro is very high in Alk. My calcium stays around 410-420 by using .3 1/2 tsp kalk per 5 gal in my ATO. I dose mag supplement but nothing for cal. Too much kalk in ATO will also raise Alk, especially if you have a high evaporation rate.

I'm using pro, I read (might have been Mr. Saltwater) somewhere that the max kalk that can be used per gallon is 2 teaspoons. My Red Sea pro salt is about finished. I have a new bucket of salinity ready to me mixed!

Awesome, I also recently switched from Red Sea to Salinity... Very happy with it. And yes ur right, any more than 2 tsp kalk per gallon will just precipitate out.

Switching salt is a good idea.
I have been happy with Brightwell and Oceanic salt.
For the color - Prodibio Reef Booster.

Think the multi dosing can be cut to just kalk? It's a 100gallon display. I will purchase the reef booster and try it out. Thanks for the advice.