Cleaner shrimps gone bad.

btieu

Premium Member
I noticed one of my cleaner shrimps was messing with my clam last night. I didn't think nothing cuz I thought he was cleaning him or something. Woke up this morning, he was just an empty shell. I didn't think the shrimps would feast on my clam. Have anyone have this problems before? Kinda disturbing seeing my clam was just an empty shell. [smilie=crying.gif]

the clam was probably on its way out already and the cleaner shrimp was just doing its job

@Wes wrote:
the clam was probably on its way out already and the cleaner shrimp was just doing its job said:
Im not sure what you mean by "on its way out" but the clam was doing just fine. I bought him during the NextWave event and had the cleaner shrimps like 2-3 weeks ago. Could it be that cuz the cleaner shrimps were extra large size and the clam was about 2 inches?

@btieu wrote:
[I]@Wes wrote:[/I][quote="the clam was probably on its way out already and the cleaner shrimp was just doing its job said:
Im not sure what you mean by "on its way out" but the clam was doing just fine. I bought him during the NextWave event and had the cleaner shrimps like 2-3 weeks ago. Could it be that cuz the cleaner shrimps were extra large size and the clam was about 2 inches?"]

Generally the only time they eat something is because it was dying. Just because the clam "appeared" to be doing well, unless you are experienced in clams you may not have seen it wasn't doing to well in the first place.

Just something to think about.

Yeah, for sure I'm not expert in clams. Thank you all for the inputs. [smilie=smile.gif]

Clams die very quickly. I bought three at Next Wave, but one didn't make it 48 hours. Cleaner shrimp on the other hand usually don't mess with them. Here's an article on them:

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/55-Invert-of-the-Week-The-Skunk-Cleaner-shrimp