Choosing Corals, do's and dont's?

Hey guys. I really need help when it comes to corals. I don't know how to care for them or which is best to choose. Also, due to my light quality. I'm not sure if I can do corals (10,000k White Bulb). I'd really appreciate it! And if anyone has a fluorescent fixture that holds two bulbs, I would appreciate an offer. This way I could put the 10,000k in along with an Actinic Blue light. Anyways, my main quests would be could i get corals with the light I have. And if so which ones.

Well from your post, it looks like you have a 40gallon aquarium. What are the dimensions? If you say you have a 10K bulb, that is fine....but its just the Kelven(color) of the bulb. I used to use USHIO 10K bulbs back in the day. Very pretty bulb, and you get lots a growth from a 10K bulb, just not as much color on some corals. The main question is, what kind of 10k bulb. Is this a MH? What is the wattage?

I do have a 40b. Dimensions are 36in long, by 18in deep, by 17in high. It's a 610 mm and 17 watts. Hope this helps.

No it's a Zoo Med Ocean Sun T8 Bulb. It's been so beneficial, lots of colors are blooming and makes my tank looks great! Back to my question? ...

With your current setup, you do not have enough light output to support corals. The current width of your tank does make finding lights challenging but not impossible. If you are a hands on/DIY type, I would suggest getting a LED kit from Steves Leds (www.stevesleds.com). The kit you need is 34"-44" on sale at $349.

Okay, I actually found this set up. Contacted my LFS to see what they had like it.

Really good deal too: http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52304.htm

Check it out!

@Mikii wrote:
No it's a Zoo Med Ocean Sun T8 Bulb. It's been so beneficial said:
I still don't know what your current lighting system is. What is the size of your lighting system? Is it a zoo Med ocean retro? So how many bulbs do you have? What are the watts of each bulb. Looks like some others have already answered your question, but I have never heard of that fixture.

It's a single bulb standard 30" fixture. I have a 17 watt 24 inch Zoo Med Ocean Sun 10000k Bulb in it. That's all I have currently. Trying to see if Alex can do something for me about that unit I put a link up about.

Yeah, with that light it would be risky trying to keep corals alive. You may be able to keep some zoo's or something directly underneath the light if you put the light aprox. 5-7" off the water until you got more light. I wouldn't put much in there till then.

It's Odessa brand? I have heard some rave reviews on this. I found a double lamp from this brand instead of 4 bulbs.

Sent from my iPad in the Great Barrier Reef!

Stay away from odyssea or aqua traders brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Bimmerz. Spend the extra money and get a quality light. Odyssea/Aquatraders is the cheapest out there and for a reason. No name ballast/bulbs. I guarantee you will want to upgrade to a better unit down the road.

Oh. Right now it's all I can afford. It's a better system than I had. I know eventually a better system will be a good idea to get. But right now in my situation I thought this would work for what I want.

Sent from my iPad in the Great Barrier Reef!

I would recommend you focus on fish only for a while, and look at making a skimmer your next big purchase. Once you have a skimmer, start putting money aside for lighting while you enjoy your fish and let the tank mature.