Chlorine Maintenance Alert

If you find your city or water company on this list, your water comes through the Wylie treatment plant managed by the North Texas Municipal Water District.
They recently released the following statement:

Chlorine Maintenance Scheduled
January 17, 2014 - The North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) has scheduled a chlorine maintenance that will be conducted on the NTMWD Wylie, Tawakoni, and Bonham water transmission systems and customers' distribution systems for a 28-day period from February 17, 2014 - March 17, 2014. The chlorine maintenance helps reduce the need for water suppliers to flush systems in order to maintain chloramine residual (required by the TCEQ) during warm weather periods, thus conserving water.
The chlorine maintenance does not affect water quality and remains safe for use. During this period, consumers who are sensitive to taste and odor changes in drinking water might notice a change during this period. This palatability change does not alter the quality of the drinking water provided to consumers.

From what I understand, chlorine is removed from the water by the Carbon pre-filters found in most RODI units, and if chlorine gets past them, it will quickly ruin your RO membrane. With that said, I plan on replacing my carbon filters ahead of schedule in the next week as a safety measure. YMMV.

I would recommend if you are in the affected area, get Seachem's Prime additive. It is reef-safe and can be used in saltwater, top off water, and new batches of saltwater you're mixing up. It will lock up any chlorine that passes through your RO system.

Ammonia goes through every stage even easier, although typically the levels are so low the filters absorb it adequately.