Black Sponge Overgrowth

scttwhtmr

Membership Expired
I'm having an issue with black sponge growing over my live rock. It is taking over and I've tried to remove it but it keeps coming back. Do you have any suggestions? I really want to get this under control because it looks terrible. Thanks.

Why is it called black when it looks purple? I think I may have the same stuff (I thought it was cyano but chemiclean does nothing to it).

When you say it comes back, how long does that take? Sponges don't grow that fast (that I'm aware of) and it's rare that they'd take over like that.

Like the posts on Reefcentral said, if you can blow it off with a turkey baster it's probably cyano and not sponges. [smilie=smile.gif]

Of course, that being said, I'm currently fighting with cyano in my tank and I DON'T think that's what it looks like. Maybe it's just the picture.

Here are a picture of my "purple/maroon" sponge(?) growing. I really don't want to remove the rocks. Other options? Anything consume them?

I'm not positive, but I think I read that red Fromia stars eat sponges, though perhaps not enough for what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi Jim! Whatever that is it looks full blown. It's not cotton candy algae is it? Snails aren't eating it?

No -- not cotton candy algae, I don't think. Deep purple (darker than coralline algae) -- nothing seems to be eating it

If it is a sponge I would think allowing air to enter its pore network during a water change would be enough to kill it. If it is cyanobacteria I can say first hand that conch snails and blowing the rocks with a turkey baster will kill cyano.

It is definitely not Cyano. Turkey baster has no effect. I have try Chemi-clean three times -- no effect. I have water changes where it is out of the water for a period -- no effect (but then, it doesn't impact my yellow sponge either -- not nearly as invasive).

Toothbrush, tweezers out of the water is how I keep mine under control. In my experience, Air exposure isn't nearly as fatal to sponges as we think. RO bath is super effective but also kills pretty much anything else that is in/on the rock so that is kind of a last resort. Hermit crabs apparently can live in RO for hours I discovered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk