Biocube overflow problem, please help

I just got biocube 14. Have had my bigger tank for about 2 years now. Looking to add a few baby snowflakes and a goby/shrimp pair. I was looking at the tank and im worried about the top overflow or whatever you call it where water moves from the display to the back, and the slits down lower that serve the same purpose. The slits are about 1/4" wide on both of them and I am worried that my small fish/shrimp my find their way back there and get caught and killed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover this and make it safer for my livestock?

you could cover the bottom intakes completely with a piece of plastic, it will increase flow of the top intake I have blocked it for that reason when I had a film on the surface of the tank. For the top intakes you could shove some poly fil in there. I don't think it would kill anything if they made it back there, just the pain of getting them out. I think there is a sponge that separates the pump section from the other 2 compartments, right?
BTW I think I would pick one or the other in that tank, the snowflakes or the goby/shrimp. just my 2 cents..

Ok thanks. You think superglue to hold that plastic in place? Youre probably right on the stock selection. Going to use the tank mainly for sps and zoas anyway. Just can't decide, and I already have two Percula in my other tank.

superglue should be fine, I would just use enough to hold it in place but still be able to pop it off if you want to later. I like my goby/shrimp pair, but they bury or bulldoze anything on the sand bed and have lost a few frags into their burrow...

ive got some pretty small fish in my 14 gal biocube at my office. also have some shrimp. i havent had any issues before. waiting for the new tunze 9001 to hit the shelf though it should take up most of that first chamber. i doubt anything could fit through at that point.

@cmcoker wrote:
superglue should be fine said:
x2 on this. In that small a tank when I had a pistol shrimp I couldn't put anything at all on the sand bed. He was constantly shifting everything around, and I also lost a frag down into their burrow. My pistol sadly died a few months ago but my goby is still there living in the burrow. I've been trying to decide if I want another shrimp, because he was really entertaining to watch, or if I would rather be able to have things stay where I put them. [smilie=smile.gif]