Big tanks vs. small tanks

Tinyfish

Membership Expired
I have only ever had small tanks. Currently the biggest of 4 are the 58g. I keep wondering if it would be better to have one big tank. What I am after is to simplify maintenance and upkeep. The nice thing about multiple small tanks is that I can separate critters if they need to be separated. I don't know that all my animals will get along in one big tank.

I am also considering a move out of state to the middle of nowhere. The trip requires an overnight stay on the way and I am unsure about how to transport fish and coral during the move. Also I don't know how I would physically move a larger tank that required multiple people to move it when I don't know that many people there.

as far as saltwater tanks go we started with a 92G then went to a 150G then to a 450G. Be prepared for more maintenance costs regarding chemicals but overall I would say the maintenance processes are the same but they do take a little longer. Also if you get the tank parameters out of whack then it will take longer to correct any issues.

@TiberianSun wrote:
Also if you get the tank parameters out of whack then it will take longer to correct any issues. said:
But one of the bigger benefits of the large tank is that it also takes much longer for the parameters to get our of whack so you can usually catch it quicker to start correcting it. :) And I don't think the cost of chemicals, etc, would be that much more, assuming you're treating the around same total water volume.