bending sheet metal?

bwig333

Premium Member
Anyone know where I could take a sheet of aluminum to have 2 90 degree bends in it? I am using it to build a new hood for my lights. I didn't know if there was a place that offered this service. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

most automotive or machine shops should be able to do it. Check the yellow pages and make a few phone calls to find the best deal.

if they aren't too close together you can use two 2x4's and a hammer. set the first with an edge on your bend line, kneel on it, start the bend by hand, and then hammer the second board up against the first, using the two edges to make your bend a good 90. its ghetto, but it works in a pinch. a break is faster and cleaner if you can get access to one.

I have a brake and do it for you if you can't find something local.

How wide is the piece you are trying to bend? Also do you know what type of Al you have not are equal, and you can get hair line cracks bending to 90*

For some reason I am struggling get this post out. But I have a Brake if you can't find one local.

How wide is the piece you are trying to bend? Also do you know what type of Al you have not are equal, and you can get hair line cracks bending.

if you go the 2x4 approach it is usually best to use 3 2x4's. 2 of them would be used to sandwich the sheet metal together and I would suggest screwing them together. The 3rd is then used to fold the sheet metal.

Thanks again guys for the info. Steve thanks for the offer. I found a welding shop near my house with a brake. If they cannot do it I will take you up on the offer.

You can use an open solid wood door and a door jamb. Open door insert aluminum between door and jam and close door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

a little update: Took the aluminum to local AC/sheet metal fab shop. Went over my ideas with them and they are going to construct my box(i know not completely DIY). It should be ready next tues/wed. Now when I get it home I am going to pain the outer black to match my stand. Are there any hints/tricks for painting aluminum as opposed to steel? I would love to get it anodized but do not feel comfortable doing it, so I have decided to paint it. I will try to post pictures next week when it comes in. Thanks

I have painted several Al panels and if you don't want it to just flake off you really do need to do some prep work.
1. Scuff up surface with a scotch-brite pad 07447 (maroon pad) is what I use.
2. Whip down surface with acetone, do not touch the panel again with bare hands.
3. Then a thin coat of self etching primer. The key here is a light coat that just covers surface, no where near what you would put on for paint. I recommend http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39693?seid=srese1&gclid=CIvA-Lvu7LkCFSho7AodHx8AVA
4. Top coat with your final paint.

Every thing you need can be bought at English Color. They will try to tell you that the SEM product is only for small patches and is old technology and the old part is true but what they recommend will be about 3 to 4 times more expensive, and that will be a two part primer. And that $15 rattle can is closer to $25 there.

got the hood back and it looks like an aluminum box. I am going to paint the outside of it and then put the lights in. As far as acrylic/glass/plexiglass/etc. Any thoughts on what I should use as a splash shield? I looked at some of the acrylic at lowes but wasn't sure if it would effect the amount of light getting to corals.

What type of lighting? If mh it needs to be tempered glass.

If led or t5 acrylic will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If it is LED, acrylic is fine. However, if your box is fully enclosed, the lights may overheat internally due to lack of air circulation.

It is an LED system. Marc I was worried about overheating as well. I purchased lighting system from Stevesleds. I have 2 fans that will be in the box and I was planning on drilling 12-16 holes (maybe in a diamond shape) in the end of the box where the fans will be. Will this be sufficient airflow or do I need to drill more holes in end?