Baking soda and lime water?

I have been browsing through posts in the this thread and I have noticed a few people mention using lime water or baking soda in top off water. Is this just to maintain KH and where can I find some more information? When I try to search this it says it is too common....Thanks

yeah limewater or kalkwasser will raise your alkalinity but will also raise your PH also so do some more research before you jump into it. Ive preferred kalkwasser over using baking soda just because i believe you actually have to bake the baking soda.

not exactlly what your looking for but it will help with learning about Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Top off water (RO/DI usually) doesn't need to be buffered at all, because it is only replacing what has evaporated throughout the day.

Some people use Kalkwasser (lime water) to help maintain Alk & Ca levels in their system. Others use baked baking soda to raise pH and Alkalinity when dosing it directly to the tank (not in top off water). It really comes down to what your tank needs.

The new site has only been up a few days, and the search engine criteria is pretty limited because our old site would bog down signficantly. Perhaps on the new dedicated server, we'll be able to relax those limits some. Give it a little time though, as we are still trying to get the basics working at the moment.

I use reef complete and super buffer dkh to maintain my calcium and alkalinity right. I have debated getting a calcium reactor for a little more stability though, but the, after a little feedback, I was discouraged from doing that. What do most of you with SPS use to maintain your levels? Do you prefer a reactor, Bionic 2 part, Reef Complete, Kalkwasser? I want to save as much time, money and maintenance as possible. I was looking at buying this pkg from marine depot. I don't mind spending the money if the results are there. What do you all think?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~KTKLCP2~idCategory~FICRCPWC~category~With_CO2_Tank-Reactor_Packages-Calcium_Reactors-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

I've been using a Calcium Reactor (Lifereef) with a pH controller for the past five years, and have zero regrets. The Korallin reactor isn't as foolproof as one might think. I really like my Lifereef.

That looks like some quality stuff for a pretty good price!! I was looking at your site and I am blown away! Nice tank.. If you ever have a tank tour or something through I would like to see it in person. Thank you for the feedback!

You are welcome to come visit my tank when you are nearby. I'm within walking distance of Frank's Tanks, if you happen to shop there.

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/two-par ... s-for-you/

here is a good link that compares all three suplementation ways as which is cheapest way to go on different sized tanks

I've been using a combination of kalk topoff and calcium reactor for the last few years with really good results. It all depends on the variables of your tank as to which method will work best for you. I have almost all SPS and quite a few clams, so I have a high consumption of both calcium and alk. The reactor itself would probably take care of both of these, but I seem to have a chronically low pH, even when the reactor is not running, and so I also topoff with kalk to help maintain a higher pH. I have a smaller tank that is mostly LPS, and all that tank needs is a couple of scoops of Tropic Marin Biocalcium a week to maintain calcium and alkalinity. So like I said, what you have and what you want to do will determine what type of supplementation will work best for you.

I know what you mean, I have a 55 predator reef with a few LPS corals and I use biocalcium in it with no issues at all, my 90 though eats up ca and alk like crazy so I am looking for a little more consistency. I am going to check out the link above too and see what that says. I was using super buffer in my TO water for a while but when I got a pre-filter for my aqualifter I was blown away how much was not mixing and clogging up my pump. So I have started adding a little every day or as needed but it varies a lot. I have started investing in some nicer corals and I want to make sure they are getting the best supplementation possible.