Are these fishes suitable together?

btieu

Premium Member
Can someone who had experience in these fishes tell me if this is a good idea to keep them together or not?
Marine Betta
Blue Throat Trigger
Blue Spotted Jawfish

They will be sharing a 150G tank with lots of live rocks, 6in of sand, and mainly soft corals. And I do plan on introducing them all at once.

There is a chance the blue throat will pick at the fins of the marine betta.
Also keep in mind Betta's are very secretive and hide quite a lot.
The Blue spot is hit or miss keeping it alive, but should be fine with those.

Like drew said, there are no promises when it comes to predators. The best thing you can do when dealing with predator fish is pay attention to body language. Triggers can nip, but some are known to be reef safe, and very peaceful. Predators will always be trial and error and you need to watch them closely.

Other than that it sounds like a stunner selection of fish you have chosen, great taste!

The Marine beta is not a good fish to keep with aggressive eaters. Mine likes it best in my 30G tank all by itself. I have had mine for about two years.

Don't know about the marine betta, but I have a blue throat trigger and a jawfish in my 140. There's never been any aggression between the two as they both basically just mind their own business and hardly seem to notice each other. As someone else mentioned, the only thing to keep in mind with these two is that the jawfish won't venture far from it's burrow, so it needs to be spot fed. Otherwise the trigger and other aggressive feeders will nab all food in the water column before any reach the jawfish's range.

BTW, my jawfish is a tiger, not a blue spot, but I would think behaviorally they should be pretty similar. The blue spots have a reputation for being hard to keep, but this one is about as hardy a fish as I've come across. He disappeared a few days after I got him so I thought he got stressed and died before ever making his burrow. Then almost three weeks later, I noticed him in the return chamber of my sump. To get there, he would have had to jump into the overflow, ride down the drain pipe, avoid the skimmer, cross the refugium, then jump into the return chamber - all without any food other than what he may have found in the fuge. He looked like a concentration camp prisoner when I found him, but after being put back in the display, he finally found a good spot to burrow and has plumped up nicely. He's actually my favorite fish now and is the guy in my avatar. [smilie=smile.gif]

Thanks for all the advice...I guess I wont be getting the marine betta. [smilie=smile.gif]