Aquavitro Salinity users

mwilk19

Membership Expired
I bought a 225g container of Salinity to try and mixed it up in my makeup can. What's the trick to getting it to clear? It's been almost 24 hours and it's still cloudy.

Mine is always clear but I heat my water to tank temp so I can measure 1.026 without doing the conversion

Is it mixing continuously for 24hrs? or are you mixing it, walking away for 24hrs then checking? I mix mine in 5gal containers, I just pour in the salt. Every time I walk by, I shake them. I manually agitate them and have never had an issue of cloudy water. Within 24hrs mine is clear.

I only mix mine for about 20-30 minutes. Sometimes it's clear. Sometimes not. I've found the best way to get it to clear is to add a little bit at a time. Wait until it clears and then add more. However, it always clears in the tank so I don't worry about it. Great salt. The only salt I've had major issues with is the Red Sea coral pro. That stuff makes a mess of everything.

Matt

Thanks everyone for your help. I found this on the Seachem site. It explains a little bit about the cloudiness issue. Interesting on how they recommend that you mix the salt.

Q: I recently switched over to using the salinity™ salt and after mixing, even a couple of days later, it remains cloudy. I currently add salt to a 35 gallon drum of RO water until I have reached a salinity of 35ppt. I am using a heater and a strong powerhead in order to mix it more thoroughly. I typically mix my saltwater on Friday for a Sunday water change. Is there something I can do to prevent the cloudiness?

[A: It is completely normal for some batches of salinity™ to mix up more cloudy than others. This is due to more elevated levels of certain elements, in particular, calcium and alkalinity. Please rest assured that this cloudiness will not harm any of your inhabitants, corals, etc. and should dissipate very quickly. We use the salinity™ here at Seachem and there are times when we cannot let it mix for 24 hours, and have to use it within several hours of mixing. Though cloudy initially, within thirty minutes to an hour of putting it in the tanks, it is crystal clear.

Furthermore, based on our observations, the salt clouds more as the water temp increases. Also, mixing the salt more than 24 hours causes a decrease in alkalinity and pH. This is somewhat expected as the increase in CO2 (more so with excessive agitation) causes a pH shift downward and can also cause precipitation of some of the components, namely calcium and carbonates.

For best results, make salinity™ up at room temperature (22 to 25 degrees Centigrade). Stir well until thoroughly dissolved. salinity™ is then ready for immediate use. Excessive mixing may result in cloudiness, due to carbon dioxide absorption. Cloudiness will dissipate when the salinity™ solution is added to the aquarium.]

Just an update. The tank cleared after about an hour, so for me the cloudiness issue is not a major deal. Now well see how the tank does over the next month or so.

Thank you for posting the info. I just bought a 225 bucket. Nice to know I can use immediately. I was using the Fluval salt and loved it but can't find it anywhere and when I asked them the response was "call your local stores until you find one that carries it". Very poor customer service.

@murphyme wrote:
Thank you for posting the info. I just bought a 225 bucket. Nice to know I can use immediately. I was using the Fluval salt and loved it but can't find it anywhere and when I asked them the response was "call your local stores until you find one that carries it". Very poor customer service. said:
Yeah, I've mixed and dumped for my 29gal and My fish experience what it's like to be in a snow storm.

I have heard from a lot of people that salinity should not be mixed for more than a few hours. Excessive mixing causes, cloudiness, low oxygen, film in the bin, etc. I have also seen seachem respond in several forums saying that they don't recommend mixing for 24 hours like all the other brands of salt because ionization something or other. But right there on their page is this:

2. Stir well to ensure a good mix. Although the salinity™ solution may be used immediately, we suggest mixing for approximately 24 hours to achieve oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.

Over 24 hours I get excessive caking of a white film on the sides of my barrel and the pump.

@Wes wrote:
Over 24 hours I get excessive caking of a white film on the sides of my barrel and the pump. said:
Same here. I add salt over a few hours, adding a scoop as a I walk by and allowing that to mix. After reaching 1.026 I generally let it mix for another 4-6 hours before use.