Another lighting Thread!!

I know everyone is probably tired of answering these but I am really stumped so I need some help! I have a 60g tank dimensions 36x20x20. Currently I am running a 36 LED fixture using 3w crees. The fixture was built by Joe(CaravanShaka) and worked well on my solana but I am not sure if its enough light for my 60g. When I had my 70g (36x18x24) Mike @ RapidLED said 36min 48 if I wanted to be SPS dominant. At this point I am not crazy about SPS but they are growing on me and I would like to try my hand at them. I think I would like to try a MH setup but am unsure as to what would be ideal for this tank. I like the colors that LEDs bring out and have gotten decent growth before with LEDs so I am exploring options. Here is what I have looked at so far, please chime in and give me thoughts/opinions/experiences.

(2) - 150w MH
(2) - 250w MH
(1) - 400w MH

any of these with some T5 supplements etc?

I vote 2 150w MH with VHOs for supplementation. I have yet to see a T5 hit actinics like the VHOs can.

I would do 175 iwasaki and actinics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If going MH, i am not much help for opinions, but i definitely suggest LED actinics for color pop. Let me know if you want something custom ;)

I like lumenarc or lumenbrights

Lumenarc gives more coverage but lumenbrights direct more light into your tank great for tall tanks.

If you can still find a large lumenarc I bet one will cover the whole tank

Depending how high you can have the reflector. Plus placement of low light corals on the ends and high light corals toward the middle. Then go led or t5 of vho for actinics.

@kuyatwo wrote:
I like lumenarc or lumenbrights Lumenarc gives more coverage but lumenbrights direct more light into your tank great for tall tanks. If you can still find a large lumenarc I bet one will cover the whole tank Depending how high you can have the reflector. Plus placement of low light corals on the ends and high light corals toward the middle. Then go led or t5 of vho for actinics. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Assuming I can find a large lumenarc what would you change your (2) 175w recommendation?

You already know what I think but I will state it here so you dont forget! [smilie=hi.gif] LOL (2) 250w MH with lumenbright reflectors and use your leds for actinics but run a bluer bulb like the phoenix 14k or radium 20k bulbs. As for ballast i have little expierance with the options out today.

It really depends what you are keeping if you are going sps do two lumenbrites, if softies and couple sps then you can do large lumenarc and do ati blue plus bulbs for actinics.

Please keep the lighting questions coming. I'm so confused now on what I'm going to do with my 70 gallon build. MH's or LED's or T5's or a combination. What wattage? I've been out of the hobby for 10 years. Man has it changed.

If you have time, go by DNA and take a look at the reefbrite pendants in their coral room. They have the reefbrite leds attached to the halide pendants. Just see if you like the look. I'm not sure what the wattage is of the halides or what bulbs they are using but it would help you decide if you like the halide/led combo.

http://www.reefbrite.com/reefbrite-halide-hybrid/

Another option would be T5's unless you want some really high light SPS. An ATI T5 fixture would work great. I'm running a 6bulb T5 (TEK elite) on my 75gal tank with maxima clams on the sand with no problems.

Yeah, I've never priced them but figured they were high $$$ since their leds are on the high side. Just threw it out there in case the OP wanted to see a tank with halide/led combo in person. I've never actually been to DNA when they were both on but I'm guessing they would turn them on if you acted interested in them.

@Opus wrote:
Yeah said:
I personally wasnt all that impressed with them. They use the double arc bulbs which I think are pretty new and their LED's seem way underpowered. For that money you could do much better IMO.

I'm strongly considering the setup Matt suggested earlier with both ballasts running at 175w, and tearing apart my current LED fixture and using the 24 blues as the actinics since those pendants don't leave much room for vhos

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2