anemone help!!

I bought a baseball sized green bubble tip anemone last friday and it had seemed to be doing ok until tonight the only thing I did different was change my pc bulbs the old ones where pretty old, I ran to the store for about an hour and when I came back he was shrivled to the size of a tennis ball and his tenticles went down to the size of angel hair pasta he also is hanging on to the side of a piece of live rock and is sagging down with what looks like a couple of cob webbs hanging off of him. please help me I dont know what to do I shut the lights off already but thats it.... Also my tank is 6 weeks old but I was told my water was ok for an anemone.?

Just give them time, they are some of the most picky creatures that we put in our tanks. If will move till he finds a spot if likes. Just make sure your rocks are far enough away from your power heads.

Sent from my MyTouch4g

I was told that you should not put any fish in your tank for the first year, and no anemones for at least the first 1 1/2 years.

Once in a blue moon one of my anemones looks that way for a couple of hours, and then goes right back to looking bubbled up.

Do you feed the anemone, and if so, what?

And anemones have, in my experience, a compulsion to climb the tank wall, and get into the power heads, chopping themselves into pieces. Have you made provision for the anemone not to get tangled up in the power head? They are just like jello, and will suck right through the little strainer inlets on MaxiJets, and Seios, and all the others.

David

ive tried to feed him twice with mysis shrimp but when I put it in his tenticles he just lets it sit in there and he will not eat it.

I have a nem with power compacts and he is doing great. He might try to get to a higher spot for more light but you need to make sure he is eating.

Sent from my MyTouch4g

Best bet for him with your tank being so young is to try and find it a new home quickly. A 6wk old tank is really too new for anything to go into it. IMO I would find someone to take him if even to just hold till your tank is about 6 months old at the earliest or to pass him on for someone who has a well established tank.

It truly is way too soon to add an anemone to your tank. If you can take the animal back to your LFS and ask them if they can hold it there until your tank matures (9 months minimum), that would be nice. You could visit it and feed it from time to time and it gives you a reason to visit your LFS often - which leads to spending money there. :) Good luck.

Worst case, you might get some store credit for something better suited for a very young system.

My tank is 1 month old as of yesterday and I have an anemone and multiple corals with power compact lighting and everything is doing great. I will be getting LEDs around the 1st of the year because I feel they would be better but I would honestly say it depends on the parameters of your tank and your experience in saltwater. Every tank is different so tehre is no "standard" to be followed. If you ask 10 people you will get 200 different opinons about corals/fish/anemones/ and parameters. Do what works for you but be consistent. For example if you do a 15g water change every week then keep doing that dont change to 20 unless you have a disaster.

@niteowl03 wrote:
My tank is 1 month old as of yesterday and I have an anemone and multiple corals with power compact lighting and everything is doing great. I will be getting LEDs around the 1st of the year because I feel they would be better but I would honestly say it depends on the parameters of your tank and your experience in saltwater. Every tank is different so tehre is no "standard" to be followed. If you ask 10 people you will get 200 different opinons about corals/fish/anemones/ and parameters. Do what works for you but be consistent. For example if you do a 15g water change every week then keep doing that dont change to 20 unless you have a disaster. said:
Bad advice...there IS a standard in this hobby and it's called STABILITY PROMOTES SUCCESS and thats not just for hard coral's. There is more to a tank being stable than everything checking out ok, we are talking about an ecosystem that takes time to stabilize. Bubble tip anemone's require high light...period, if you have a 20G or 30G with pc's then we are talking a very shallow tank and the anemone will still seek higher ground and spread out to maximize surface area and gather more light. Feeding it is fine but for long term health of the anemone, get the right equipment and wait until your tank is stable. This hobby is alway's dynamic in that there are more than one way to do something and be successful, rushing is not a way to be successful but you will always find someone that will tell you what you want to hear but imo, it's not worth risking an animals life when the odds are against success. I would like to suggest a good read for the new tank owners that would like to reinvent the wheel. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23791

Cheers,

You have a 1 month old tank which isn't much experience to being giving advice from. Your nem is alive most likely because it takes longer than a month for it to die. It is starving to death and doing everything it can just to hang in there. You can't test for everything and besides the tank not settling in itself, a new hobbyist hasn't caught on to how to manage things to promote a stable tank. Like Ron mentioned, rushing into something because you think it works will not help in the long run, you will end up frustrated and quiting.

Well thanks for making a poor assumption Wes Just because the tank is a month old doesn't mean I have only been in the hobby for a month. Is it your common practice to go around bashing hobbyists? My anemone probably is starving that would explain why he looks as good as any other I have ever seen. I also don't see how there is a standard in the hobby when there are 3 different opinions on how long to wait in this thread alone. From 6 months to 18 months.

To the original poster, I guess good luck, seems like we are both stupid and our anemone is going to die.

Sent from my MyTouch4g

You did say that is all the experience you have actually, in this thread here, where you specifically say its your first sw tank. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=89904&p=674875#p674875

You might get different ranges in time, but the one constant is that the tank is not ready. That's because it's not. If nothing was said otherwise, then people would search this thread and think it was ok to try later. It is not in the best interest of the animal to test your luck with, it's cruel. There is no bashing to it, sorry if you took it that way, just looking out, like the other four people who say its too soon are.

I have read in several posts (spread across the WWW at various sites) that it's good to wait approx 1 yr for a BTA. I too broke the rule with my first sw tank and the little guy didn't make it. HTH and patience is the key.

Austenwitte can you give some background on your tank as well, Size, rock, sand, refug, water pramas and size of light, tank equipment you are using....etc. Time in the hobby would also help a lot here.

A full tank shot would be nice to see as well and as stated it is to early and anything good in this hobby takes time to get excelent results. If you want to see a true "Reef" tank I think DWashington, AKA David, has a true reef in his tank. It did not happen overnight and has been up and running for years and yo ucan tell by the grouth on the tank that it is truley a slice of the ocean. If there is anything we can do to help you out please do ask more questions.

Here is Davids Build log

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=25991

His tank is just one of the many in the club but his just standout out the most as it is so mature.........not saying that his is better than anyone elses or mine but it has been up and running for a very long time and you can see by the pictures.

Your right I did set my first tank up 3 months ago not 1. I have also been around saltwater for many years. I guess I am just cruel to my animals and lucky because everything in my tank is happy. I mean my 1 month old tank probably hasn't even cycled yet right?

Sent from my MyTouch4g

@niteowl03 wrote:
Your right I did set my first tank up 3 months ago not 1. I have also been around saltwater for many years. I guess I am just cruel to my animals and lucky because everything in my tank is happy. I mean my 1 month old tank probably hasn't even cycled yet right? Sent from my MyTouch4g said:
We want people to succeeded in the hobby and enjoy it and doing the right thing does take time. No one is saying it is not impossible as we are seeing that a female shark may have given birth to babies without a male in the tank. Things happen and in your case of your nem doing well. That is great but if you have been in the hobby for the long haul you should know nothing happens overnight.

We are just trying to lend a hand and help were we can. You are right we did give a big gap but that is a lot longer than a month as you were stating. I will say when you do your research in anything you buy it is best to do it before you buy an animal instead of buying it then doing the research.

We have all made impulse buys and then found out the hard way that it was not the right choice but with experience come knowledge and that is what the forums are for to share the knowledge so someone else does not make the same mistake.

@Lance6270 wrote:
We want people to succeeded in the hobby and enjoy it and doing the right thing does take time. No one is saying it is not impossible as we are seeing that a female shark may have given birth to babies without a male in the tank. Things happen and in your case of your nem doing well. That is great but if you have been in the hobby for the long haul you should know nothing happens overnight. We are just trying to lend a hand and help were we can. You are right we did give a big gap but that is a lot longer than a month as you were stating. I will say when you do your research in anything you buy it is best to do it before you buy an animal instead of buying it then doing the research. We have all made impulse buys and then found out the hard way that it was not the right choice but with experience come knowledge and that is what the forums are for to share the knowledge so someone else does not make the same mistake. said:
And this is exactly what I did, I shared the knowledge of my experience and got told that I was wrong and it was bad advice...

It is bad advice, You've been in the hobby for 3 months, it's not rnough to understand these animals who have no known lifespan that you could be killing. They bleach nems in compete darkness for up to 6 months to 'improve' the color, its not gonna die in that short amoun of time, and may not show any signs of stress even.