Algae in prop tanks - I need a solution

afishfanatic

Membership Expired
I am having hair alge problems in the prop section of my system. The biggest problem area is the egg crate. Snails dont clean it and crabs just fall through.only take a is growing up onto the frags. What does everyone to do keep the algae at bay?

@Matt wrote:
How big is your prop tank? If it's big enough I'd put a Yellow Tang in there to clean it up. said:
The section is only about 25 gallon. The other issue is that it has large slits in the acrylic for the water to com into the prop section. a small fish could easily swim through and get to the section where the skimmer and reactors are.

@ldreefer wrote:
Sea Hares really work wonders. said:
Great idea, but I need a permanant solution. The hares will mow all the algae down, but will die at that time only to let the algae grow again Im afraid. [smilie=wink.gif]

@matt_longview wrote:
Have you tried Mexican Turbo Snails? said:
Matt, yes I have tried several types of snails, but none ever venture onto the egg crate. They always stay on the side or bottom of the tank.

Hmmm. Have you pushed the egg crate up against the glass on one side? My turbos make it to my egg crate regularly. Perhaps a lawnmower blenny. Also, try keeping some macro below the eggcrate.

Swap out the egg crates from time to time with clean ones, and scrape the algae off the glass while you have the egg crates out of the tank! Allow the algae to die out in the sun, clean it up, and have it ready for the next swap!

David

@afishfanatic wrote:
[I]@matt_longview wrote:[/I][quote="Have you tried Mexican Turbo Snails? said:
Matt, yes I have tried several types of snails, but none ever venture onto the egg crate. They always stay on the side or bottom of the tank."]

Mine, won't stay off the egg crate. They are always knocking over frags.

Mitch