algae fix

i am having a huge hair algea problem and ahve been hearing a lot of good things about theis product but i was woundering if it is going too kill the maco algae in my fuge has any one used it with a fuge and is it safe for the calerpa

yea some due remove o2 but i have used this on reef tanks and flowr tanks with no problems just was woundering about this product with macro algae

alot of people are going with the kent marine tech m magnesium to kill hair algae. look into washingtond tank build. he had alot of luck with that stuff.

That was to remove Bryopsis, not Derbasia.

Thread moved to its current forum.

I have used Marine Algea Fix to get rid of dinoflagellates. It did not kill my Marco or my coraline. but worked great on the dino's

It got rid of my nasty brown wafer algae pretty quickly, didn't do diddly to the bryopsis. Noticed it did knock back the macro algae a bit... and wiped out the cheato. Didn't do a think for the cyno..... and never noticed an O2 issues or anything else like that.

Algaefix did nothing for the Bryopsis out break in our 200 gal tank. But when we raised the Mg level to 1600ppm with Tech-M did the trick with no negative effect on the Macro algae. But remember this was for Bryopsis algae.

I'm happy to report that Tech-M finally wiped out my bryopsis as well. I was always a little hesitant to use Algaefix because you don't know exactly everything it is killing off. So if you have algae that pods or other organisms are feeding on and you kill it all it could potentially hurt your overall ecosystem. It is good to see some reports by experienced hobbyist that it didn't do too much damage though.

@hegi wrote:
I'm happy to report that Tech-M finally wiped out my bryopsis as well. I was always a little hesitant to use Algaefix because you don't know exactly everything it is killing off. So if you have algae that pods or other organisms are feeding on and you kill it all it could potentially hurt your overall ecosystem. It is good to see some reports by experienced hobbyist that it didn't do too much damage though. said:
Ben this is good news and glad that it worked for you as well.

@hegi wrote:
I'm happy to report that Tech-M finally wiped out my bryopsis as well. I was always a little hesitant to use Algaefix because you don't know exactly everything it is killing off. So if you have algae that pods or other organisms are feeding on and you kill it all it could potentially hurt your overall ecosystem. It is good to see some reports by experienced hobbyist that it didn't do too much damage though. said:
What levels did you obtain and using which test kit please ?

It was at about 1600. I used the Salifert Magnesium test with a modified chart I found on RC (because it only goes up to 1400-1500 I believe) I'll see if I can find the link as I am at work and don't have the info in front of me. I think it was posted here as well somewhere. You just have to be patient with it and raise it slowly. It is frustrating but pays off in the long run.

I used the Elos Test Kit that has a resolution in 100ppm steps and will measure above 1500ppm. The level I attained was also 1600ppm.