Algae Breakout

Hi, I am hoping I could get some help... I had a sea urchin die in a 185 gallon tank with no other fish in it. I developed a algae problem and thought I tackled it but it is back... I did water changes , carbon and PH filters and I cant seem to kick this algae issue.. its hair Algae all over... I have 1 Picasso trigger in there and am not over feeding him. I was hoping there was someone in the McKinney area or surrounding would be able to come by who knows how to tackle this and just take a look at the system and tell me what they think I need to do... I just ordered R/O filters just incase it could be my water.. I dialed down my LED lights to 7 hrs... I am really stumped on what I need to do... I appreciate any ones time and help on this.... I really appreciate it !!!!! [smilie=hi.gif]
Feel free to Text me for faster notification.... John 917-992-0562

@johnnroe wrote:
I had a sea urchin die in a 185 gallon tank with no other fish in it. said:
@johnnroe wrote:
I have 1 Picasso trigger in there and am not over feeding him. said:
So what's in the tank now? Just the Picasso?
How old is the tank?
Do you have a skimmer?

And +1 to MIke's question. What are your test results?

@johnnroe wrote:
Ph is at 8.12 and the tank is 9 months old. I do have a skimmer. said:
Have you tested your phosphate and nitrate levels? These 2 are the most critical parameters to test for when battling an algae outbreak. If you don't have the test kits yourself, you can take a water sample to any LFS and have them test it for you. The algae has to be feeding off something and my guess is you have elevated nitrate and/or phosphate levels in your system.