Acrylic repair

Bangemslim

Membership Expired
I got an old Seachem Prism Deluxe skimmer that has started to leak at the seam. I've got it dialed in perfectly and don't want to spend the money to get another slim HOB skimmer so I need to repair it. Who is the closest acrylic tank/container maker to 30 & 360?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a formal acrylic repairer, but I do have some weld-on if you'd like to stop by with your skimmer. I have no idea where 360 is, but I live in 75094

Thank you for the offer, jccaclimber. I live in N. Arlington 76011. I think you are about 45 miles from me so I might hold out for a closer solution. What is weld-on and how does it work?

@Bangemslim wrote:
Thank you for the offer said:
Weld-On is an acrylic solvent that's used to build acrylic tanks, sumps, etc. Since you have an acrylic skimmer you could probably use a small piece of scrap acrylic and the Weld-On to "patch" over it where the leak is.

@Grant wrote:
[I]@Bangemslim wrote:[/I][quote="Thank you for the offer said:
Weld-On is an acrylic solvent that's used to build acrylic tanks, sumps, etc. Since you have an acrylic skimmer you could probably use a small piece of scrap acrylic and the Weld-On to "patch" over it where the leak is."]

That pretty much covers it. If you only have a crack rather than a hole sometimes wicking solvent into the crack is enough to seal it.

I wrote a long reply with a few questions and wondered why there was no replies... It did not submit. Anyhow, what type of weldon would I need? The site shows a bunch for PVC and other applications but none for acrylic so I am sure I am missing something. Thanks

I actually can't find my can at the moment (concerning), but I believe #4 is the correct one for wicking into acrylic seams.

Meyer Plastics in Lafayette, IN when I lived there... I'll bet the local plastics supply stores have it though.

Edit: Following that theme I'll bet Allied Plastic Supply in Dallas has it, although I would call before going over.

@jccaclimber wrote:
I actually can't find my can at the moment (concerning) said:
#4 is very thin and watery. The higher numbers are thicker I think and might be better for what you need.

Weld on 4 is a watery substance and for best results should be done along an entire seam because there will be air bubbles that can be pushed out by water between the two weld on applications. If it were my skimmer I would use weld in 4 to fill as much of the leak as I could and after letting it cure run a bead of weld on 16 all the way down the seam similar to the seam of a glass aquarium or wherever you might believe a leak may occur. Weld on 16 has a very similar consistency to silicone but it's made for bonding acrylic specifically. And don't forget, Overkill is under-rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk