Acrylic aquarium buffing

Have anyone sucessfully buffing the scratches off the AA?
Where's the good place to buy the buffer kit? How do you apply the buffer?
Any advice, ideal would be appreciated.

Thanks

For surface scratches you can get a Novus Acrylic cleaning kit from The Container Store. They are usually on one of the impulse shelves by the check out. This kit has three bottles of different type polishing liquids.

If you deep scratches, you can get an acrylic scratch repair kit at a good wood working shop. I got some from a wood working shop across 635 from the Town East Mall (It's in the little strip mall with Vitamin World I think). This kit contains various grit sand paper sheets.

Both take a lot of time and effort, but will polish out almost any scratch.

I have an 8' tank that one of the kids made a "mountain" looking scratch about 6' long when the little guy was helping me clean it with the magna float. Of course I had to drain the whole tank for that one.

Be gentle, patient, and persistent. Muscle and speed will only cause you to have to work harder to get a good polished finish.

Ron, thanks for info.
Another question, what is the deep scratches kit called in the wood shop?
I guest after you sanding the deep scratches, are you still have to use the surface buffer to polish them out? Do you use any type of machinery or just doing by hand?

Again, thanks

I worked for a company that did acrylic work EONS ago. You can use an automotive buffer with a terrycloth cover for your finer abrasives and polishes. There are a ton of places to get these. I would check either on line or even at Regal plastics.
Remember ONE key item... when polishing, you are removing material in a series of finer and finer scratches. There will be a visual distortion from at least 1 angle.

Right. The sandpaper is for removing material (acrylic) and the polishing liquid is for...polishing.

I don't know if there's a name. I think I just told them what I was doing and they pointed me in the right direction.

Good luck.

i have an electric buffer for buffing, unfortunately i no longer have an acrylic tanks so i am left with 2 options replace my acrylic tank, or sell the buffer since wince without an acrylic tank i have no use for it. what urks me is i bought it from a fish store in colorado when i was still in the military and paid 200.00 for teh buffer with the compounds (compounds are long gone) only to find i could have bought all of the stuff individually for half the cost :sad: