400g Reef thread

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
It's 2018, and I'm going to try to be better about updating this thread about my reef.  The 400g v2.0 has been running 50 months as of yesterday.  It's a starphire glass aquarium made by Marineland, sitting on a steel stand.  Lit with three 400w TwinArc 10,000K/20,000K Metal Halides staggered 7 hours each per day, plus Reefbrite XHO Super Actinic strips for 11 hours a day.  The sump holds a Nyos 300 skimmer, a calcium reactor, biopellet reactor, carbon reactor, and a full length refugium.  I have a 45g ATO reservoir that replenishes the reef's evaporation throughout the day, refilled via RO/DI system once a week. Currently the return pump is the Abyzz 200, and all in-tank flow is generated with Vortech pumps. Using a dosing pump, I add 90ml of Magnesium daily.I use Eheim autofeeders daily on all my aquariums, and feed frozen food every evening. I run a mixed reef, with a little bit of everything I like. I may add a clam or two this year.View attachment 3931

Gorgeous tank! I see that you are dosing 90ml of Magnesium daily. Have you considered adding magnesium media to the CA reactor?

Posted by: rickyb Gorgeous tank! I see that you are dosing 90ml of Magnesium daily. Have you considered adding magnesium media to the CA reactor? said:
I've done that but still needed more. Then again, I had way more Monti in the tank before.  Basically I mix up a gallon of Mg solution, and set the doser to add 90ml daily until it empty. A couple of weeks later, I mix up another gallon.  This seems to be helping the reef's magnesium level rise. I finally hit 1300 ppm; it's been around 1200 for probably a year or so. The trick is making a new gallon and not ignoring the empty jug under my tank. :)

Marc, your tank is always awesome looking.  How many vortech pumps do u have in your tank? 

Posted by: bump1 Marc said:
There are two Mp60s on the left end, one Mp40 on the back facing forward (far right end), and the two flow accelerators where water pushes toward the overflow.

I installed my new sump a few days ago, and here's the video. I showed some of how we removed the old part, courtesy of Shane's son Gabriel that filmed us, and then I covered the entire installation and explained how everything works.https://youtu.be/Aswo8ojNTGw

Wow love the new changes with the new sump. I bet you feel so happy now with that all done.Looks great man!

Thanks! Yeah, it came out great. I may do a couple of minor tweaks, but it's good to go as is. 

Posted by: @fjiiolks  see that you are dosing 90ml of Magnesium daily. Have you considered adding magnesium media to the CA reactor? said:
I tried that a couple of times, but it didn't seem to do anything beneficial.