150 gallon tank in an apartment

mwilk19

Membership Expired
i'm curious if any of you good folks keep a larger reef tank in an apartment. My landlord has decided to sell the house we are living in and we are most likely going to end up in an apartment. I was planning on selling my tank in 2016 as we are planning a move to Maui when I retire. I don't want to sell it yet, but this move may require me to do so a year early. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

We had a 120 on a 2nd floor apt. We placed it on a load bearing wall and had no issues. Just make sure the apt doesn't limit to a certain gallon tank. We also took out extra renters insurance for water damage just incase

FM,
Thanks for the reply. We don't have to be out until July but we're going to start looking after the holidays. I will most definitely ask about their aquarium policy and I'm also going to ask if we can request a first floor apartment if we can keep it. I don't want to have to hump that thing up a flight of stairs if I can avoid it.

Yeah most apartments are made out of concrete flooring, even 2nd and third floor. Also ussually tanks that large distribute the weight across a larger area. However you might want to consider ground floor just to be safe, and not to have to haul stuff up multiple floors.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel better about this move. I wasn't ready to give up my reef tank just yet. I'll be back for more advice when it comes time to move the tank.