Search results

1. W

Ocellaris "Spot/Disease" ID

Our oscellaris finished QT hypo a few weeks back and has now developed a few discoloration 'patches' that I'm unable to ID and thought some would have a suggestion. The largest spot below is slightly raised and white and there are 3 more smaller discolorations near his head on the opposite...
  2. W

Calcium Reactor CO2 Check Valves Recommendations

Through some inadvertent actions yesterday, I had to re-adjust my calcium reactor and refill the bubble counter. In doing so, I found that the CO2 check valve between the reactor and CO2 regulator bubble counter was not functioning and was letting calc water back into the CO2 bubble counter and...
  3. W

XM bulb ID or website

I picked up a couple of used 250W PFO pendents and ballasts some time back and was cleaning it up today and happen to notice that the bulb was almost brand new looking with no discoloration of the bulb and/or rust/tarnish on the base and it was marked: XM250/D That is the only marking I could...
  4. W

New Model Ozone Generator

I just received a new product announcement from the enaly corporation that makes the low cost ozone units. Their earlier models were non adjustable and were a major drawback to some. In any case, the new model has several features. Just thought I'd pass on the info in case someone was...
  5. W

To Phosban or Not...that is the question.

On our aggressive tanks, we've always run high nitrates for various reasons and during the move to a 140g tank about a year ago, we added a much deeper refug and sump. When I first added the Chaeto without any phosban reactor, it seemed to grow well, but after adding the reactor it also seemed...
  6. W

Red Bug Prevention Dip with Interceptor

Has anyone seen a sticky or posting about the interceptor medication treatment for the red bugs that includes the dosage amounts if using as a dip and not as a tank treatment? I've got some tablets and have searched for 'interceptor' and red bugs and still haven't found the ones I thought I've...
  7. W

New? Product for AEFW, Spiders maybe more

Since Tropic Marin usually makes pretty good products from my experience, I was a bit intrigued by a (maybe new) offering from them dealing with the Acro eating flatworms, spiders (maybe the zoo eating kind too???), and some other parasitic organisms. If it works and also does kill spiders...
  8. W

Acro Crab Identification Doubt

I got 2 of these crabs today with some SPS corals that I picked up and while they were comfortably in the coral and did not appear to be doing any harm, I wasn't sure they were 'acro-crabs' either. The body is just a little smaller than a dime (about 3/4 size) and the spread with the claws...
  9. W

Chaeto Growth and melting

I have purchased 2 large quantites of Chaeto to add to one of my tank refugiums, and each time it has just 'melted' after a couple of weeks. I'm using exactly the same light as my other (aggressive) tank that grows like mad and I can't figure out any other thing that would cause it. My grape...
  10. W

Hardened Salt AKA Salt Block Usage

Well, we left the top loose on a bucket of salt and with the rains,etc from the last week, it has turned into an almost solid block of salt that has to be 'chipped' out in chunks now. I've never felt there was any reason to be concerned about using a partially hardened salt, but the latest...
  11. W

Any AquaController III PRO Owners/Users

If any of you use/own/borrow an AC III PRO model controller from neptune systems and have some insights/ideas on troubleshooting,etc, I would appreciate *any* ideas/discussion you might could offer. Since the III *PRO* model seems to have quite different calibration/stability requirements than...
  12. W

Baby Reidi Seahorses - Free - All Gone-Thanks

Well... it happened. We've had a potload of baby reidi in the first Reidi batch that we've had. We believe the parents are from the litter mates to Water'bug and TJay's reidi's that have been so prolific lately. I really tried to keep the horses from looking over my shoulder and reading what...
  13. W

Hypo Salinity and CBB Sensitivity

Well, we found and bought a Coral Banded Butterfly that was eating almost everything we gave him (frozen brine and myesis) (except aptasia :? ) almost immediately after getting him home and into a temp QT tank. He had a small bit of fin spot/discoloration but we figured it was worth the time to...
  14. W

Baby Huey!

This is like Baby Huey...he grew about 3 times as fast as the others in this batch of Seahorses. I transfered him to the major Seahorse tank and he is eating up a storm. He is approximately 3-3 1/2 ". Huey is a male and really going to make a great father raising his fry in the future. I...
  15. W

PH, Orp, etc Probe fully submerged?

I'm trying to fashion a new Ph,etc probe holder for my sump and was wondering if they were designed to operate fully submerged or should the top end always remain out of water. I don't have too many choices on this tank as it does not have a calc reactor and the water level in the area that I'd...
  16. W

Conflicting Info on gasket placement

I recently ordered some bulkheads for a tank I'm reinstalling and was surprised when they came in their own plastic bag with a sticker note prominently covering the bulkhead hole that stated:
  17. W

Waiting on din-din

Well, this is about the best picture we have gotten without distorting the colors too badly and it shows the 3 erectus patiently waiting feeding time and all gathered around their shell-bowl (actually all sitting in the shell bowl) . The prettiest one with the really long spikes is the one in...
  18. W

Flexible return type tubing sizing,connection - Info: using pool vacuum tubing as return

[I thought I remember someone talking about using swimming pool vacuum tubing to server as the return lines from the display to the sump. After looking at some at a store, I was wondering how the end attachments are held in place (ie what kind/type of solvent/glue is used). The ribbed nature...
  19. W

Ammonia test kits - Any price/performance info

[Since I don't use it too often and it's about to go out of date, I may try to replace my old ammonia test kit and I was wondering if there was any consensus on what kits most people use. There are many variables to judge on, (price, time to do the test, colorwheel/card ease of match...
  20. W

General coral handling, placement, aggression - Nice article from marinedepot on corals

[The following link has a nice general guideline article on coral placements, water flow, and coral aggression. I thought it was informative as it gives some real life distances of distances,etc between various corals,etc. Enjoy Coral Aggression and Placement - Marine Depot Article :shocked:]