Search results

1. J

Asterina starfish eating my corals? (sps and some zoa)

First, i noticed a few zoas disappearing and saw asterina starfish over some closed polyps as if they were eating it. Maybe 3-4 frags disappeared :(. But now im more worried because i started seeing a few mini sps colonies and frags die with asterinas on them. Another thing that it could be are...
  2. J

What's this chalice?

Wondering what kind of chalice this is. Growing pretty well so far. Don't think it likes being on the sand too much, but i'm not sure how i want to mount it on a rock yet. Does it just spread and encrust over a rock like a monti? alt="">
  3. J

rodi filter replacement question

So I have this ocean wave + 1 five stage rodi system from the filter guys and I was wondering if brs ' rodi filters would work well for it. The specs seem similar enough but I just wanna be sure.
  4. J

How to stop an encrusting sps from taking over?

I have this random sps that keeps spreading out instead of growing upwards. It's starting to touch other corals around it and keeping them from growing anymore. Anyone know the best way to stop it? I wouldn't mind even killing it, because it's messin w a few pieces that i like. I was thinking...
  5. J

Anyone know how to fix a ballast?

My lumatek 250w ballasts stopped working for some reason. I tested the light w another ballast and it turned on fine. Anyone know where i should begin? Capacitor?.. etc.
  6. J

Flow for 75g SPS dominant

So I have 1x tunze 6095, 2x koralia 750's, a tunze nano wavebox, and my mag 7 return pump on my 75g sps. Roughly 40-50x turnover? I was wondering if this is pretty sufficient and will get me by for at least another year. So far it's been ok, but I'm at the point where I'm looking for possible...
  7. J

Leds as supplements?

I'm using 2x 14,000k 250w halides on my 75g and was wondering if it's a good idea to add blue leds for supplements. I notice the corals are a lot more pale under halides versus when they were under my t5ho's. I know leds are complicated and require a certain spectrum to work, but if i'm just...
  8. J

Reef Octopus vs SCA 302 skimmer

So i thought my extreme xs160's pump died, but it was just an impeller problem. While i was trying to figure that out, i panicked and ordered an sca-302 from ebay, which i read about and a lot of people seemed to like. Well if coralvue decides to send me a replacement impeller, i was wondering...
  9. J

Metal halide help.

Hi we have this 72'' coralife fixture w/ 3x 250se mh. The bulbs look incredibly dim and we've tried several different other ballasts, from magnetic to electronic. I know replacing the 4month old bulbs might be a fix, but they seriously look like they're 100w bulbs, and i don't think even bad...
  10. J

Lights for 175g bow front?

I was wondering what you would all use for a standard 175g bow front sps dominant tank. Most likely halides, but how powerful and how many ? Thanks
  11. J

How to grow mystic grape favia?

Hi, i've had this favia for at least 6 months and it's fully grown on a frag tile, but it doesn't seem to want to grow much anymore. If it did grow, it's just growing upwards into a ball. I'm not sure if it's because there's only sand around it. What do u all suggest? Should i just place more...
  12. J

polyp id? zoa?

Hi i have this frag but have no idea what it is. Its about an inch in diameter maybe a little smaller. Please help
  13. J

Anyone know what kind of sps these are?

Hi i just got these two new corals for my tank, but have no idea what they are lol. Any help would be appreciated. thanks. The first one just has long tentacles sticking out. The larger colony looks purpleish blue, or green when lighting is lower.
  14. J

need some sump setup advice

Hi all, i have this sump that im not sure if its efficient. I wanna make the best of the equipments i have so i was wondering if i should set this up any other way? I just feel like my system is missing something, but not sure where to start. I just want my livestocks to be as happy as possible...
  15. J

Are my candy canes ok?

So just a while ago i thought my sps were doing bad, but they're actually better than ever now. The garf bonsai is more purple than i've ever seen it w/ more polyps showing, and the green acro is still brownish, but it's definitely not dying. Unfortunately, now i noticed something weird about...
  16. J

Worried for a garf bonsai and acro?

i was wondering if anyone w more experience could tell me whether i should be worried for these frags of mine? i have a garf bonsai that fell onto a digitata and there's a white spot where it came into contact. i also just bought 2 frags of some sort of green acro. there are white areas towards...