Search results

1. J

Getting a Siphon Going!

Hey everyone! I've been in the hobby for a number of years now, but I've had all in one tanks with back chambers. Well I just recently stood up a 65G corner overflow/drilled tank with a refuge and despite my endless hours of research, I screwed something up somewhere. I discovered my issue when...
  2. J

Overflow Subject

I am interested to hear opinions on the subject of Overflow. I've never had to worry about an overflow with my all-in-one Biocube, but as I eyeball a bigger aquarium, I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for that beautifully drilled tank with the corner overflow box or pick up the cheaper...
  3. J

Softy Removal

Just as a little backround, I have never fragged any coral in my life. I've mostly dealt with softy corals that frag themselves, but now I'm to a point where I don't need my softies going crazy and spreading everywhere. SO my question is, I know it is easiest to use a razor blade to cut softies...
  4. J

Re-Constructing Tank

It has been eight months with my tank and I'm happy with some of the things I've accomplished with it, but not with others. Things I like: -The hardware. -The fish. -Some of the coral. Things I'm annoyed with: -The rockscape. -The beastly peppermint shrimp that owns the place. -The quick snail...
  5. J

Diatoms and Red Algea

Hey guys and gals, so by the subject line, you guys can tell what my issue is. Basically I cannot for the life of me get rid of diatoms and red algea. It isn't a huge breakout by anymeans and my cleanup crew along with a sand sifting goby keep it off my sandbed, but my LR is covered in both. I...
  6. J

Joncelone's Biocube 29 HQI

Alright guys, it's been a while since I updated my Aquapod 24G thread and that is because I upgraded to the new Biocube 29 HQI! What do I think of it so far? I LOVE IT! Talk about a powerful nano tank. It was honestly a contest between the NanoCube 28 LED and this one and this one won because of...
  7. J

Bulb Upgrade

When I bought my 120G, it did not come with any lights, so I bought (2) 30" Perfecto Fluorescent light strips. Needless to say, only 2 20W bulbs came with them which output a yellowish look. So I want to upgrade them. My tank is freshwater and not planted, but here is a list of the bulbs that...
  8. J

Who uses Purigen?

I've read almost everything I can on the product. Now I just want to see a show of hands of who uses it and in what size tank?
  9. J

Filter Floss?

What do you guys and gals think of the filter floss craze? I'm speaking in terms of nanos for the most part, but I've seen them go into some of the larger nanos such as the solana and red sea max. They seem soo thin that I wouldn't think you'd have the same problems you could get form sticking a...
  10. J

Joncelone's 24G Aquapod Build

[UPDATE: [24 AUG 2010] ] I upgraded: http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=74744 <hr class="bbcode_rule" /> So after being out of the hobby for about 4 or 5 months, I've decided to hop back in, but keep with the nanos. Before I left, I had a 12G Aquapod and a 24G Nanocube. Both...
  11. J

New Marine Fish

I've been gone for a few months, but when I was here last, liveaquaria didn't have this page to my knowledge. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1536 It is amazing to me how they can keep finding new fish to breed and sell. I would love to see that kind of...
  12. J

Pool Filter Sand

Question for the experienced, is pool filter sand acceptable for a small reef? Like say a 24g? I've seen the sand in person and it looks fine enough to me, but not sure if there are any complications with it.
  13. J

Aquapod 12 vs. Biocube 14

This is an OPINION thread! That is the fair warning. I want to hear personal experiences and opinions about these two nanos please. I've previously owned an Aquapod 12 and loved it. Only now, they are getting harder to find and no one really does anything custom for them like a mini skimmer or...
  14. J

Aptasia Epidemic

I know Aptasia isn't as large a problem in small quantities, but I literally have an epidemic on my hands. I only have a 24g nano and i started noticing aptasia on some live rock. I was about to go buy AptasiaX to spot kill it when I looked in my back chambers tonight and saw a rediculous amount...
  15. J

Eheim Pro 3e - WOW?

I've used canister filters before, I think they can be a great asset until you have to take them apart to clean them. Minus the price tag on this bad boy, I'm thoroughly impressed. 4Minute YouTube Tour of the Eheim Pro 3e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-ETO5m5NA&feature=related Pricetag of...
  16. J

Help - Unidentified object

Ok so I got a frag of fire and ice zoas from Art I believe two weeks ago and I put them on some live rock in my tank... didn't mount them or anything. I was looking at my tank under actnics last night and notice a spiney legged creature sticking up around that frag, but then my lights turned...
  17. J

Lost My Swimmers

Interesting subject I know, but here is what happened: I have a filterless 24g nano. It has been working perfectly for the past 4 months. Then about a week ago, I went out and bought a sand sifting starfish to keep up with my sand. (Deep sand bed) All of a sudden, last Thursday evening I got...
  18. J

Softies

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some different soft corals for my tank. I already have a kenya tree, pulsing xenia, pom pom xenia, devils hand, and some palys. Any other ideas welcomed! :lol:
  19. J

Flame Angelfish

If I constantly have algae leafs in my tank for a flame angelfish, do you think it would bother any of my corals? I'm not sure if these particular dwarf angelfish pick at corals out of hunger or boredem. I'm more so worried that it would eat my zoas :(.
  20. J

Invert Expectations

So my 24g has been running for almost 3 weeks now and has cycled through a lot and much has started to grow. Inverts: (3) dwarf crabs (3) Nassarius Snails (1) Blue leg crab (2) astria snails All my inverts seem to be working very hard at keeping algae under control, except it seems that the...