Search results

1. M

Seeding Play sand to make live sand. Does this work?

I have heard that some people use play sand from home depot as a sandbed. I have some live sand from my nano that I can seed it with. Will this work? If so, does anyone have any personal opinions on using play sand in an aquarium? And how long will it take to seed, or how long should I wait...
  2. M

Will heat kill live rock?

I have a bucket of extra pieces of LR and rubble I use for fragging sitting out on my balcony. I have a powerhead in it for circualtion, but with temperatures getting up to 100+ I was wondering if the heat would kill all the beneficial bacteria in the rock. I hope it will be ok, as its been...
  3. M

Sriveled corals - Too much light?

I just installed a 70 watt metal halide on my nano yesterday. Tonight I noticed that my mushrooms were shriveling up, bad. Another of my corals is all white and shriveled up. Is this too much light? I have seen people use this same light on nanos much smaller than this. The light is about 3...
  4. M

Pom Pom Crab

I am considering getting one of these little guys for my nano. I have seen them in a few picos and I really like the way they look. Has anyone had any experience with one, good or bad? I don't have any anemones or any fish for that matter, just a few softies.
  5. M

Protein Skimmer Question

I have started to notice that my water isn't quite as clean as I'd like it to be. The water isn't cloudy, but there are small particles floating around. I am wondering if my protein skimmer isn't working like it should. The skimmer is the one that came with the tank, it fits into holes made in...
  6. M

My First Saltwater Tank - 15 Gallon Nano

Well I just got my first saltwater tank all set up. It's a custom piece, but it's the same concept as a JBJ Nano. It's all self contained with the skimmer and fuge in the back. For lighting, it has two 13 watt 5000k lights in the hood. I'm working on getting a 70 watt MH set up. The fuge in...