Search results

1. R

Getting Out - GHA killed me

I am still loosing the fight with the Turf algae and it is taking over the Display and starting to affect corals. Cutting back on feeding, reducing light cycle time, manually pulling it out, and running reactors have not helped, so i am giving up. I will be giving most of my corals to a good...
  2. R

Sea Hare laid eggs

New sea hair i got yesterday laid eggs last night. Is there any chance i can do anything to give them the best possible chance of surviving? I have a ton of GHA so i dont think a food source will be an issue
  3. R

Sump Baffle Broke

One of the baffles on my DIY sump broke loose on one side and let a bunch of sand and water into my return section. It seems everything is working, but i also noticed that if i press with my thumb on the 58g tank seams, i can see some moment in the silicon on one side too. So i have a lot of...
  4. R

LED or Traditional Lighting

I would like to get feedback especially from reefers that have been running LEDs for more then 3 years. How is the heat, bulb life, coral color vs traditional lighting. Replacement cost, available features (such as cloud pattern and dimmable features), and color spectrum are factors that I would...
  5. R

Algea issue

If i am get a GHA outbreak in my display only, and not my refugium or frag tank, is that a sign of a lighting issue? I have been running seachem phosguard pretty heavily but it is not helping. I am not sure what needs to change. I had the calerpa on a 24/7 light cycle and i cut that down to 16h...
  6. R

Dosing Pump Question

Can an aqua-lifter on an Apex be a successful dosing pump with the right program and setup? For things like calcium, trace minerals, buffer, ect. http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=WP-TT1137 If you could measure out the time and flow rate pretty accurately, it seems...
  7. R

Calcium Probe ? Feedback ?

Anyone have feedback on use of one of these probes? Seems it wont plug directly into an Apex, but can be used with stand alone monitor. Really interested in getting one unless anyone has had a bad experience with one. There is some rumor about longevity with saltwater...true...
  8. R

Tank Build Program

I wanted to start plotting out a tank build that I want to start after I get married and get a new house (in the next year) I was curious if anyone could direct me to some graphic software that I could use to draw it out. I have seen some really cool build logs but I am not very skilled with any...
  9. R

Red Bugs

Anyone have a list of corals that Red Bugs can infest? I can find a lot on how to cure it, but the general statment is "soft tissue acro" and i dont know enough about SPS to know which those are..
  10. R

Corals Getting Green

I have had my tank up now for 1.5years. Some of my sps frags, cali tort, rainbow monti, purple bottlebrush, and red planet are starting to become predominately green in hue, and loosing some of thier other colors. my cali tort for example was 90% dark and light blue, but now everything but the...
  11. R

Apex Questions

I just got a new Apex system and spend all day yesterday setting it up and hooking it up. Can anyone let me know what aqua notes does and how to set it up if i am already controlling the Apex from my computer browser? How can I get the status to import to my signature line on here? How do i...
  12. R

Tang Questions

I am looking at getting 2 Tangs in the future, and wanted some help / feedback from people who have had them. I currently have a Tomini Tang that is very healthy but not doing as good of a job on Algae as a blenny that i have, So.... I would like to get a Yellow Tang and Blue Hippo. 1) How well...
  13. R

190g Tank Feedback

Anyone have experience with a 48x36x25 tank? it would be 190 gallons but have a lot of depth do it... curious if anyone knows of a build thread that is similar that i could follow...
  14. R

Acro eatomg crab?

Just found this guy on my blue tort, and happened to notice it was RTN right where he was, on the back side. have not seen him b4 and not noticed the tissue decay. i phone cant take pictures of it b/c its so small....so here goes description. Hes maybe the size of my pinky nail, white, with...
  15. R

Orange Tree Gorgonian

Can anyone with this clarify its photosynthesis needs? LiveAquaria says non-photo LFS (where i got it) says photosynthetic 2 other random sites said it was and other said it wasnt... So if anyone has this, can they please clarify? here is a link of what it looks like...
  16. R

Jawfish vs Pistol Shrimp

I have a pistol shrimp in my DT currently that i would like to catch and move to my 20l prop tank. Reason being is i would like to add a jawfish to the DT. My question is if the jawfish happens to find a hole close to the pistol, will one cause problems for the other? Secondly, i would like to...
  17. R

Salifert Test Kit Help

Can anyone around GB / 75 come help me use these? I got a Nitrate and Phos test kit a few weeks ago, and when I do the test, they are showing almost undetectable levels which I would love but I just have a very hard time telling what they really are (and don't quite believe lvls are really that...
  18. R

New lights cause RTN?

New lights cause RTN? I just upgraded my other 175w MH from a 12k Reeflux to a 15k Iwasaki... I noticed my stylo lost tissue on one of its branches (not the whole branch but 50% of it) the white skeleton is exposed but the res of it looks great and other SPS are looking ok. I moved it down to a...
  19. R

Brine Shrimp

I saw some How-To articles on raising and feeding brine shrimp, but I was curious if they could be added to the refugium and allowed to naturally reproduce to a degree and possibly filter up to DT where they would be feed on kind of like pods do. Are there any articles on this or how-to that...
  20. R

SPS Help

I have several sps, mainly digi and a monti cap, that are starting to expose their skeleton as far as i can tell, the polys are very small and closed, and they surface looks almost like a dried up sponge...something i have not seen before. PO4 is at .5ppm with API test (salifer reading .03 ) so...