Search results

1. S

Book Recommendations

Hi All, I have a good friend that has asked me for book recommendations to help her get started into the hobby. The problem is I have been out of the hobby for a few years and when I looked through my book collection the most recent book I have is copy righted 2001! I have: Aquarium Corals by...
  2. S

Electrical Problems??

Over the past 6 month to a year I have gone through multiple A/C to D/C adaptors that run my lights and vortec pumps. For the vortec pumps they will just stop working. For my lights, LED's they will just dim significantly. I have a kil-a-watt measuring device and it appears everything that is...
  3. S

Creature ID

Found this on my front glass. Looks like a small anemone. I have seem them before in the sand bed with just tentacles showing.
  4. S

Just Switched to Unique LEDs

I had wanted to make the switch and finally decided to do it. I got the lights on Friday and got them set up and ACjr organized yesterday. Since I knew I was getting them I made sure to take some before and after pictures. Another thing I'm interested in is if my tank will run a little...
  5. S

Skimmer Options

Right now I have a AquaC EV-180 Skimmer driven with a Eheim 1262 pump. This takes up a lot of space in my sump and is always a pain to get the pump out to clean. Last week I dosed chemiclean and during the 24 hours I had the eheim off my tank was about 1 to 2 degrees cooler. I never get a lot...
  6. S

Zoomed Aquacool

http://www.zoomed.com/Library/_DB_Files/Entry2_367_MainPicture.jpg Does anyone have these. Are they loud? How effective are they? I like how they can hang on the back or side of the aquarium. I currently have two icecap fans but they are hanging over the tank and are always in the way.
  7. S

Vortec Pump Power Supply

I have had two vortec pumps since they were first released. I think that was in 2006 so that would be almost 5 years of use. I think I have gone through at least 4 power supplies. I just had to replace one last month and today I realized my other power supply is not working. Anyone else have...
  8. S

Nano-Cube DX light problem

I have an older model Nano-Cube DX. The lights no longer work and I don't have a spare around to see if it was just coincidence that both bulbs went out at the same time. The cooling fan still works and the moon light still works. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to trouble shoot without...
  9. S

ACjr Display doing funny things

My ACjr is 4.5 years old. It appears to be functioning correctly but sometimes when I look at the display the numbers will be flashing or changing from a number to an asterisk. Anyone seen this and is it a sign that the unit may be going bad? Thanks
  10. S

Feeding Switch for pump

Is there such a thing as a timer switch that you can plug the pump into so you push a button and the pump will turn off and then automatically turn on after a few minutes. We are having problems with food getting sucked into the overflow too quickly in our nanocube. This is my daughter's tank...
  11. S

AquaC EV-180 Plumbing Help

I have the AquaC EV-180 skimmer. I have used Mag 7 pumps for this skimmer but over the last 4 years I have had to replace my pump twice. I now have to replace my third Mag 7 so I'm looking at going with a different pump. AquaC recommends an Eheim 1262 which you have to control with a valve...
  12. S

Phosban Brick

So I obviously neglected my phosban reactor and now I have a phosban brick. Anyone know what will dissolve it. It is completely solid. I have diluted muriatic acid in it right now but it really does not look like it is doing anything.
  13. S

pH Controller for Calcium Reactor

So it looks like my Milwaukee pH controller is broken. The pH is measuring over the set point but the alarm light is not flashing and the power to the solenoid is not off so no CO2 is flowing. I have had this controller for about 3.5 years. Wanted to find out if this is still the controller...
  14. S

Valve on CO2 Line

Is there any problem with CO2 leaking out if I install a valve on the CO2 line between the bubble counter and the reactor. I need something so I can prevent water backflowing from the reactor when I need to open up the bubble counter to add more RO water. I was planning to use the John Guest...
  15. S

Potassium, How Important is it?

I have been using the AquariumWatertesting.com for the past three months. I just received my third test result and my Potassium level is low. The range for potassium is 350-450 mg/l. When I looked at the first two tests I noticed that my Potassium levels have been declining. I submit the...
  16. S

Pictures of My Tank

Since Blide wanted some full tank shots I also took some closeups which seem to capture the color of my tank better than the full tank shots.
  17. S

First AquariumWaterTesting.com Results

Below is the test results from AquariumWaterTesting.com They send you a pdf file that has the test results and then a discussion section for each test. I have cut and pasted the entire pdf here so anyone thinking about using this service will have an idea of the testing. My tank is 140 gallon...
  18. S

Percula Ocellaris does it matter

In July I bought a pair of Percula Clownfish. I'm pretty sure they are true percs based on how they look and also the price $75 for the pair. During the summer one of the clowns died. I have been waiting for the remaining clownfish to get bigger so I can purchase a smaller one to have a pair...
  19. S

Alkalinity, Calcium and my Calcium Reactor

I have a 140 gallon reef tank that is mostly zoas, mushrooms, and polyps. I have one large clam (8") and three other clams that are between 3" and 5" in length. Besides the clams the other calcium requiring corals I have is an Anchor Coral and a Maze Brain. I use a calcium reactor to maintain...
  20. S

Ricordia Mushrooms finally Expanding

In November I upgraded my tank to a Custom Oceanview 140 (Same dimensions as Oceanic 140 but with Eurobracing). The upgrade included MH lighting and two vortech pumps I had on each end of the tank. I never ran the pumps full power but they did generate some nice current. My tank is almost...