Recent content by SumpDiver

1. S

Healthy Fish Getting Stuck in Liverock

I've been keeping fish for a lot of years, but this was a first for me. Has anyone ever had a perfectly healthy fish swim into a tight spot in the rock work and not be able to get out? I just introduced a new Long Nose butterfly to a 50 gallon corner hex that had only one fish, a Sergeant...
  2. S

Will Anything Eat Nems?

Has anyone had any experience with Bristle Worms, or any other tank critters consuming a dead or dying nem? The reason I ask is we have a HUGE Condi that is missing. This guy was big, bigger than a large dinner plate when fully extended. In fact he was getting too big for the tank and we were...
  3. S

Pygmy seahorse: Hippocampus bargibanti

Does anyone know if this species is available in the trade, or are they protected? Pic taken from this site: Pink Pony
  4. S

Midas with Bristleworm Issue

Well, this has not been a good week for us. Seems whenever I lose fish they come in threes. When the lights came on today I noticed one of my Blennies flashing. This is in a tank I know for sure, (Without a Doubt) is clear of ich so the flashing really got my attention. This is not (Cecil)...
  5. S

DIY Bubble Algae remover

I made a DIY Bubble Algae Remover: Take a piece of 1/4" PVC tubing about three or four feet long depending how deep your tank is. Then Superglue a large needle to one end. Cut a small piece of 1/2" airline tubing, or plastic hose about 2" long. Slip the plastic hose over the tip of the...
  6. S

Panther Gourpers, Clowns of the Sea

[The following post was originally written for Reefmike?s thread: HERE But because I wandered woefully off topic I thought it best to post it as another thread. Also hoping a new title would get more response, although I realize it IS the ?Weekend Lull?. This being as it may, I urge anyone...
  7. S

Nanner-Puddin? A Golden Wrasse Tale RIP

One of our members, Peter (psteelib) Posted a Poll a few days ago to gather some information on the Yellow or Golden Wrasse, commonly referred to (Incorrectly) as the Yellow Coris (Halichoeres chrysus). No one has responded to this poll, yet. I thought these were a pretty popular fish in the...
  8. S

Lowest Safe Salinity for Live Rock in a FOWLR

As some of you may or may not know, I?ve been running a bare bottom Aggressive FOWLR for some time now. Well, it?s not completely BB There is a small amount of medium sized loose shell (Whiz Q Stone) substrate I added mostly to buffer alk and ph a little. I?m running two oversized power...
  9. S

Killer Shrimp: Best Clown for the Job?

I have a Blue Banded Coral shrimp the size of a Buick that has taken to picking at my two new nems that have perched together on a rock high in the tank. I need a heard of tiny clowns to protect these two nems until they are better established. Was thinking of maybe three or four tiny percs...
  10. S

Ich, Don?t Live With it, Treat It.

This post started out as a PM to one of our members who is dealing with that insidious little parasitic issue we?ve all come to know and hate, Cryptocaryon irritans. As hobbyists we all HAVE or WILL have to deal with this nasty little bug sooner or later; and I can assure you, as it has been...
  11. S

Cycling Bare Bottom Tank for Hypo: Please Help

As some of you already know, I'm presently dealing with an ongoing ich problem in a couple of my tanks. The fish are bassically just living with it, and doing well, but I want it OUT! I've recently bought yet another 44 gallon corner hex just like the one I set up as a FOWLR a while back and...
  12. S

SEA COOTIES

I?d like to get the group?s opinion on something. We are in the process of treating our small reef tank for ich. I have five fish left in this tank that seem to be completely immune to the parasite, but I know the tank is infected because whenever I introduce a NEW fish, it gets covered usually...
  13. S

Can Wrasses of a Different Feather, Flock Together?

I have a question for the group: As some of you may know, I?m in the process of putting together several new tanks, These tanks are being set up with LR, LS and even some water from several members? very well established systems. Because the rock and substrate are all around five years old and...
  14. S

Crystal Clear Tank Vs Coralline Algae

I have a couple of questions for our veteran reefers. We touched on this topic on Rocky’s Coralline thread, but rather than hijack his thread with all my questions I thought I’d start a separate thread here. Mods please feel free to merge this thread with his if you feel this one is redundant...
  15. S

In Memory of Bennie the Blenny

The star of our tank passed tonight. Bennie the Midas Blenny has munched his last cube of Marine Crusine. It all started this evening when Elvis, our Maroon Clown, knocked his Frog Spawn condo off the rock into the sand, again. I had removed the tank's top to retrieve it. Actually it was a...