Recent content by Soji John

1. S

Soji's_Tank_Feb_2007

Hi All, Been on the forum for a while. I have a 50 hex that's mainly SPS. Am posting a few pictures here of it. Have several acropora, monti caps, ect.. that you can see from the pictures.
  2. S

Dripping Kalk vs Kalk Reactor

Much less work with kalk reactor. Some work in setting it up initially but no day to day burden of mixing kalk. Just set it up with your auto top off and let it go.
  3. S

Watanabe male changing to a female

Is it possible for the male watanabe to change to a female if I only have one in the tank? My male sure looks like a female these days. I've had him (or her) for about 3 months. I didn't really notice (because I see him every day) but a friend pointed out to me that the stripes and the...
  4. S

Phyto

I am trying to understand why we dose phyto (I have also been doing this since I started reefkeeping). Isn't skimmate phyto (along with crap)? If you can point me to a good source I would appreciate it. (I'm really not trying to start a brianc thread :P ) Thanks, -soji
  5. S

pH Controller

I see that the Milwaukee pH controller is only about $90 which is about 1/2 the price of a pinpoint controller. Is it any good? Anyone have any experience with Milwaukee products? Would I be better off buying the pinpoint? Thanks, -soji
  6. S

O-rings for diy skimmer - Where to buy?

[Hi All, I am preparing parts to assemble my DIY skimmer and would like to purchase two O-rings of 4.75" diameter and 0.275" cross-section. This is the size I would like but if something else close is available, I can change the skimmer accordingly. Does anyone know a local store that may carry...
  7. S

Uniseals - Local place to buy?

[Hi All, I am starting to progress on my DIY skimmer and was wondering if there was a local place to purchase uniseals. Thanks for any help.]
  8. S

Acrylic tubing - Best place to buy

[Hi, I was looking for acrylic tube (for a diy skimmer). I've found Allied plastic sells it but you have to buy 6ft minimum. I only need about 2 ft. of it. A 4" diameter costs $24 for 6ft long. Any other place in town to buy for lower or that doesn't have a minimum purchase? How about...
  9. S

Only one mh bulb; not much supplementation - What kelvin bulb to get?

[Hi All, I have one metal halide 250 watt on my 55 gallon hex. I have a Power Compact (110W) but it is offset from center and I will be getting actinic bulbs for those. My question is, forgetting about the PC since I don't think they have enough penetration for my tank, what color bulb should...
  10. S

Suggestion requested for tanks setup and move - Moving from 25 gallon to 50 hex

[Hi Guys, I just drilled a hole in my 50gallon hex and am planning to move everything from my 25 gallon tank into it since I have a pendant MH for that tank and I'm moving toward sps. In the process, I will catch the yellow tang and get him to someone with a bigger tank. I need to avoid a...
  11. S

Anyone have rotifers locally?

[the frozen can be found at fish gallery. probably other store too.]
  12. S

Auto-topoff container - Where to find 10gallon

[Hi All, I'm trying to find an auto top off container. The cheaper the better. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would prefer it be taller than longer. I would like it to be sort of airtight. I wanted to put kalk in there. I like the 200gallon salt containers but it's only about 5...
  13. S

One head of hammer closed - Other head open

[Hi all, I have a hammer coral frag which I got from the frag swap. One head has been closed for about a week. It has a larger head which is open. When I say it's closed, it's not completely closed. About 1mm of the hammer fingers will pop out every once in a while but it doesn't extend...
  14. S

Liquid life bio plankton - Does anyone use?

[Does anyone use Liquid Life Bioplankton? How about their other products such as Coralplankton and Marineplankton? Which should be used for what? How are these products? Where is the best place to purchase them? thanks in advance.]