Recent content by paige

1. P

ID Please

What kind of snail is this? He has a very flat shell on top. I thought he might be a stomatella but I wasn't sure, he body doesn't seem big enough. Also, what are those white tube things? Some kind of sponge? I'm beginning to get overrun with them. I've got hot pink ones now too.
  2. P

Peppermint w/Blood Shrimp?

I wanted to get one or two peppermints for the aiptasia in my 46g. I already have a blood red fire shrimp. Will they be okay together?
  3. P

ACJr to PC question

I would like to get an ACJr and connect it to my PC on the other side of the house. Right next to the aquarium is some sort of wireless hub thing (sorry for lack of technical jargon)...we use it to get WiFi to the TV and the XBOX. Can the serial connection be converted and plugged into that to...
  4. P

Clove Polyps

I bought a small rock covered in clove polyps a few weeks back. Since then, the rock has sprouted both bubble algae and aiptasia. Can I remove the polyps and mount them to another rock in my tank? I've never done anything like that before, I have no idea how.
  5. P

Quarantine Setup Question

I know some people that like to keep their quarantine setups up and running full time. How do you keep the tank cycled with nothing living in it? My next question after that would be, do you change the water and maintain it as you would a regular tank? I'm finally being forced to setup a QT...
  6. P

Major Ich Outbreak

I recently bought a royal gramma (which I didn't quarantine) and he almost immediately got ich. Today I came home to an almost dead looking blenny and gramma. I have two clowns that seem okay. I have an extra tank to setup for quarantine, but I don't have any type of filtration for it. If I...
  7. P

How often should I be feeding?

I currently feed my tank once a day...about 1/4 of a frozen cube. It's a 46g with a midas blenny, royal gramma and 2 clowns. I've started getting diatoms on the sand, and my first guess is that I'm overfeeding. The tank has be setup about 4 months.
  8. P

Water okay to use?

I was making RODI water lastnight. I asked my husband to go turn it off. In stead of shutting off the DI, he turned on the fast flush. I didn't happen to notice this until just now. Is this water still okay to use? I use a booster pump (we have very low pressure), which luckily was off, so...
  9. P

Algae ID please

This cropped up very quickly and has since spread to everything...it's red w/really long hairy parts. What is it and what causes it?
  10. P

Securing live rock

I did a little rearranging and really like how the rock looks now, but its a bit unstable. How do you secure it when it's already underwater and wet? I can't pull all the pieces out that need securing. I bought some of that marineland epoxy putty but it doesn't seem to really work when the...
  11. P

Calcium too high?

I have a newly setup tank. I tested the calcium today and it is 530ppm. Is that okay?
  12. P

New tank, cloudy water

I just setup my tank lastnight. It's a 46g...I added about 45 lbs live rock and 40 lbs live sand. The water is really milky looking...which I understand is probably normal and should go away. My question is, do I run my skimmer and powerheads or do I let things settle? I don't have sump or...
  13. P

RO Booster Pump Setup

I just got my RO unit the other day. We also ordered a booster pump since we have very low pressure. It says to mount the pump...I have no idea what to mount it to or how to mount it...does anyone have pictures of how they did it? It also came with a pressure gauge and a mounting bracket for...
  14. P

Powerhead question

I have a 46g bowfront that I'm setting up. I'm confused about what I need for flow. I can't decide between MaxiJets & Korlias, what size and how many I need. Any advice?
  15. P

lighting suggestion

I'm in the planning stages for a 46g bowfront. Eventually I'd like to keep a BTA in it. What lighting would be best? The tank is about 20" deep and 36" wide. It has a black plastic brace in the center...so I'm worried about shadows and possible the plastic melting with MH...but I do like the...