Recent content by Meli

1. M

Unhappy neighbors

My anemone decided to move to a new location. Probably because he wasn't getting enough light due to coraline growth on the overflow box. Anyway, his new neighbors, a hammer and a frogspawn, find him quite irritating. The parts the anemone keeps touching are shrivled. Will they work out...
  2. M

240 Build

We've been keeping up with our progress on our website, but figured I'd post the link here. Quick recap: The tile's been laid for where the tank will set. We had the electrical run when we remodel the room last year. So we have 2 GFI dedicated lines and then two more non-dedicated GFI outlets...
  3. M

External Skimmer Horror Stories Please

I'm still debating on going with an external skimmer. So, I'd like to know the worse case senerios. What happened, how it could have been avoided (if possible), final cost of clean up, smells that hung around, etc. Stories that happened to others are welcomed too. Thank you.
  4. M

How to eliminate FW Snails?

I know this isn't a reef question, but there seems to be some current and former freshwater people, so I thought maybe someone would know. We did not buy any snails, one must have come in on a plant we bought. Now we have a bunch of them. Is there something that will eat them or is there way...
  5. M

Which Skimmer?

I'm buying Dane's 240 http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=33986 and setting it up as fish only. Having learned from the past that all skimmers are not created equal, I'd like to know which skimmer would you choose for this setup and why? I'm less concerned about the price, than I am...
  6. M

What can milk do to a tank?

My cute adorable little 3 year old started putting stuff into the sump recently. It had been only minor stuff like pencils, straws, etc. Well, today he put several piece of paper, a little cloth pouch and a cup. The cup at one point had milk in it. I have no idea how much if any of the milk...
  7. M

Link for setting up a QT Tank

I was thinking we had a thread or link to an article on setting up a QT tank. Does anyone know where that is? Thanks.
  8. M

Halide Smoking--Follow Up Question

We moved our tank today and everything went great until we went to plug in our light. We had two dedicated 20 amp GFCI outlets installed. When we turned on the halide, it shut off the outlet (I don't know the technical term). So, we reset it, but I forgot to turn the light off before I reset...
  9. M

Where to buy Algone?

I think that was the name of it. It's suppose to lower nitrates. I think Big Fish Aquatics used to sell it. Does anyone know of a place closer to Lewisville or over the internet where I can order it? Thanks.
  10. M

Moving Tank--Effects on Mandarin?

I'm planning to move my tank from one room to another. I plan to take everything out but the sand bed to move it. I'm planning to move the fuge exactly as it is. without removing anything. My concern is my little mandarin. We've had him since April and he's nice and fat. Am I most likely...
  11. M

Remodeling--Need some advise

We've decided to convert our useless garage into usable space. About a year from now we're going to add a room divider tank. Most likely a 96x30x31. This will be a FOWLR. We might add some softies, but probably just the fish since we want some reef safe with caution ones. Since we're going...
  12. M

Alkalinity Questions--Numbers added...Do these make sense?

Probably some pretty dumb questions here, but here goes. Since my corals are not looking so good, I'm guessing switching from IO to Kent is the problem. I bought a KH test this week, but my results aren't matching anything close to what others are reporting, so either my test is not working or...
  13. M

Keeping the sandbed clean

I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to keep the sandbed looking nice. The top is clean and looks real good, but under the top layer, it looks yucky. I thought about a sandsifting goby, but have read they can deplete the sandbed (what does that mean exactly?) and eventually starve...
  14. M

Coraline Removal

Stupid question, but how do you get coraline algae off the seams of your tank. I scrap it off the glass, but I have some really thick build up on the seams, that I haven't had the nerve to go after it real hard. I don't want my tank to spring a leak because I scrubbed the silicone off.
  15. M

Mushroom Color

I have some beautiful green mushrooms when I first turn the light on in the morning. Within 3 hours, they are a rusty brown color. I'm thinking it's a problem with too much light, but wanted to confirm. The lighting is 150w/20,000K. The tank is a 42 Hex. Thanks.