Recent content by Jhunt269

1. J

Coral ID? Acro or Slimmer or...

Hi All, Been out of salt water game for a while, well had a tank for the last several years, just not been active and practically forgot the names of all my corals. Can someone give me a name and possibly value to this one? It's about 5 to 6.5 inches long and probably about 3 to 4 inches in...
  2. J

Moving / Removing Orange Ric...

Hi all, I started out with one great orange ricordea, but then it kept growing and growing and suddenly I have 4 or 5 orange rics and the original gets up to about 4 inches in diameter. The others are spreading out and killing my orange monti. Is there any easy way to remove / move the orange...
  3. J

Hanna Checkers

Has anyone here used the Iodine Hanna Checker or the Milwaukee Iodine Photometer? I have a Seachem test for iodine / iodide and it's a bit of a PITA and is difficult to read the results (clear or light blue). I can't seem to find any reviews on these photometers and not even sure they would work...
  4. J

Iodine Testing

Has anyone here used the Iodine Hanna Checker or the Milwaukee Iodine Photometer? I have a Seachem test for iodine / iodide and it's a bit of a PITA and is difficult to read the results (clear or light blue). I can't seem to find any reviews on these photometers and not even sure they would work...
  5. J

How Can I Move My GBTA

Does anyone have a good way to move a green bubble tip anemone? My has finally settled into a crevice, but unfortunately he is killing my Duncan and a bunch of zoas. [smilie=angry.gif] I currently have a maxijet 1200 with the power head attachment on it pointing directly at him. That's...
  6. J

Best LFS in LA area

Hello DFWMAS members, I got into the saltwater aquarium hobby about 3 or 4 years ago. I moved to the DFW area about about 6 years ago and am about to head back to CA for my nieces graduation in So Cal in a couple weeks. Just wondering if there are any LFS or any other salt trade wholesalers in...
  7. J

Coral Extinction

56 Coral species face extinction. Not sure how to embed video from MSNBC.com, so here's the link. http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-learn/41950737#41950737
  8. J

Eggs on Mag-Float

Hi all, I went to clean my glass today and thought to myself, wow that is strange looking algae... Then realized it's eggs!! I keep the small mag-float toward the bottom back corn of my tank and had noticed that the Perculas had been hanging around that area lately. Here are a coulple not so...
  9. J

Steve's LEDs vs. Rapid LEDs

Hi Guys, I'm getting ready to start my 1st LED mod. Going to start with my small reef tank (37g column, 30w x 12d x 22t). I am considering going with a dimable 24 LED DIY kit, but also thinking about adding 2 to 4 red and green (or other color) LEDs. I 've heard great things about Steve's LEDs...
  10. J

BRS Reactors and Pumps

I've got both a single BRS reactor for running Biopellets and a dual BRS reactor for GFO and Carbon. I've been running both with Maxijet 1200 pumps for 9+ months and just don't think that a MJ1200 is powerful enough. Supposedly 295GPH. I've been considering upgrading to a Mag 3 or Rio 1400...
  11. J

I.D. Please... Eggs???

Hi all, I just noticed these white strands, some on the front glass and some others on a section of tonga branch. Anyone know what they might be? Hopefully the pics upload okay...
  12. J

Manual Dosing of Kalk to Raise PH Question

Hi Everyone, I've got a 29 gal Biocube that has a bad case of Dinoflagelites (brown slime / snot with air bubbles). I read that raising PH to 8.5 or 8.6 is one of the best ways to get rid of this stuff. I mixed up a tiny batch of kalkwasser mix earlier today and plan to start dosing manually...
  13. J

How can I clean live "dead" sand?

Hi guys, I acquired about 100 lbs of live sand with a tank I bought many months ago. The live sand has been sitting in my garage the whole time, through the 100+ degree Texas summer. One container is and ice chest and still actually has water in it. The other larger container of sand lost its...
  14. J

DIY Corner Stand

Hello Everyone, I just got a new Aqueon 92 gallon corner aquarium. I didn't like the look of their stand, so I've decided to build my own. Does anybody have any good links or other information about building a corner stand. Most stuff I've found online is just for standard square or rectangular...