Recent content by Firewolf4

1. F

Make the red go awayyyyy

Guys, I have been fighting a massive cyano outbreak for the past 3+ months that's effectively wiped out my tank. I lost all my sps's, LPS's and have a few strays ( mushrooms, a couple zoo polyps and maybe 5 kenya trees). My ammo, nitrates/trites are all at zero, Mag at 1300, ca at 480, pH at...
  2. F

UCK! What is this???

Looks like GHA ( Green hair algae) with air bubbles trapped in it. Check Nitrates and how long have you been running your current set of bulbs?
  3. F

SPS ID needed

I have a few SPS's that I'm just not sure what they are. These pictures have had size, contrast and brightness adjustments only. If anyone can ID them please let me know. Lighting is 250W 14K SPS for the last 2 pics, 250W SPS 14K and 250W 20K Radium for the first Pic
  4. F

What to do with a Gorilla Crab?

As I was checking out my tank tonight, I happened upon a small black tipped claw picking away at part of my Green monti Cap. Being the no-nonsense crab hunter I am, it was Game on. 20 mins later and minus a 10 lb piece of Tufa rock, I was once again victorious. He's just a tiny thing with a body...
  5. F

Acrylic scratch repair- DIY

This is the quick 10 minute repair of a deep gouge. This is all done with sandpaper. The result can either be polished out or flame polished for a crystal clear result. Items Needed: 1 sheet 400-600 grit wet-dry sandpaper 1 sheet 1000 grit wet-dry sandpaper 1 sheet 1200 grit wet-dry sandpaper 1...
  6. F

anyone seen this type of reflector

I've looked into using Solatubes myself but the radiation pattern was really narrow. For my 150( 60" x 24" footprint) I would've had to have installed 5 tubes. I would recommend sticking with reflectors designed for aquatic applications and not a modification of something used for another purpose
  7. F

DIY aquacontroller - which would you rather see?

While in the design/R&D portion of an Aquacontroller I'm working on the display portion. Which would you rather see on an aquacontroller? a 16 x 2 display? a 20 x 4 display? a 128 x 64 display? (cost is 4-6 times that of the others)
  8. F

ID needed

I've looked all over the place and I cant seem to ID these. Any Ideas and are they good or bad? (the green things, I know about the Coraline)
  9. F

Diatom bloom

I've started developing a major diatom bloom on the 150 that's been set up for about 5 weeks now. I have plenty of circulation and I started running my skimmer a bit more wet. I've cut the feeding in 1/2 and I'm wondering if there's something I'm forgetting. The tank currently has just a single...
  10. F

Firewolf4's 150 Buildlog

well, I'll put some select pictures up and upload the rest to the Gallery when I get a chance. I know everyone wants to see the rough frame and the latest pics. I'll do my best to accomodate everyone now. Please keep in mind that my Canopy (and hense lighting) is about a month out. I'm working...
  11. F

Peppies--- what to do now?

well, a few weeks back I picked up 5 peppermint shrimp from Prairie Kat. Since then I've had a pair in the 55 and 3 in the 120. Tonight, I now have 3 in the 120, 2 adults in the 55 and about 300 specksin the 55 that are babies. Where do I go from here to grow them out ? The 55 is basically a...
  12. F

DIY Aqua Controller, what would YOU want it to control?

I'm currently in process of engineering an aqua controller. it will be based on a PIC microcontroller (or 2 depending) I'd like ideas of what others would like to see as far as capabilities, Bells, Whistles, etc. the basic controls will monitor and control, Lighting, water levels, Pumps, temp...
  13. F

Finally my 120(ish) build log

Well, I've been working stedily on plumbing the tank, setting up a 30 Gal Sump/Fuge and Building the stand. I still have to Skin the stand and shave the switch panel a tad, but the rest is progressing nicely. Yes, I have severely overbuilt this stand as it should be able to handle close to 4000...
  14. F

Questions about computer controlling a tank

I've been working on this tank for better than a year now and with the new tank in the works, I'd like to be able to computer control parameters, dosing, lighting, etc with a simple computer. Now..... what would this entail ? (Yes Money is always a major concern ). I would need to know software...
  15. F

Plumbing sumps for drains and returns

Ok, this is what I have so far... 120Gal with 2-1" bulkheads near the top corners. These will hold my drains to the Sump/Fuge. The Tank is 48L x 19W x 29H. I will be building my own stand, canopy, sump/fuge and Electronic Distribution center. What I need to know is how to set up and/or plumb to...