Recent content by dpenning

1. D

Too much Chill?

I'm going to move my sump into my garage to try and get the noise out of the family room. I have a workbench I can turn into a cabinet to keep dust out. I'm going to need a chiller. Is there such a thing as too large of a unit? I know with a home AC unit you can go too big and cause...
  2. D

Anemone split?!?

I think my nem finally split. It had gotten huge and recently started moving around. Where it settled I couldn't see the foot and one section didn't appear to have a mouth. So i thought it was just squeezed through a hole. The next day the smaller one looked like it had some torn tissue and a...
  3. D

GFO Or Biopellets?

I need to do something to help with the algae growth. I'm trying to decide if bio pellets are the the latest and greatest or stick with a known good. Don't want to get into the vodka dosing. Thanks for your input.
  4. D

Dino or other?

After reading Catjuggler's thread on using hydrogen peroxide to treat dinoflagellates (sp?) I'm wondering if that is what I have. Mine is a rust color vs the maroon color I had when I had a cyano outbreak. When I had the cyano it cleared up using chemiclean. THis time I treated it twice with...
  5. D

Anyone used a bathtub?

Has anyone used a bathtub for a temporary holding tank? I'm trying to figure out how to do the carpet/tile and moving the tank. I was thinking about maybe using the bathtub as it could easily hold all the livestock and rock. Drop a heater and a power head in and I could move the sump into the...
  6. D

Ideal temp range?

What is the ideal temp range high and low? I finally have my apex running and can set temp ranges for the heater. My current setting is to have it come on a 77 and off at 79. The apex shows a swing from 77.4 to 82.1. I need to get a fan and just ordered an eheim pump as I'm told they run...
  7. D

Glass scratch removal

Somehow I managed to scratch the outside of my glass. Dirty mag float I think. Anyway, my question is can I use some sort of polish to remove it or is there any sort of film on the outside of the glass that will get messed up?
  8. D

Clean up crew (snails) bait for crabs?!

Ok, I just got my clean up crew from ReefCleaners.org and put it in my tank. I have a couple of blue leg crabs that are looking at this as a buffet! I can't actually tell if they are eating them or not or just checking out the new guys but I"m thinking if they can they'll have a snack. Anyone...
  9. D

Apex AAArrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg!

I had no idea you had to be a network engineer to make these things work! I thought you'd be able to use the unit itself or at a minmum plug my laptop directly into the unit with the network cable provided. I've downloaded the Apex new user guide an apparently it can't be done?! On top of that...
  10. D

1 cm gash in sailfin tang!

I lost my gobie after he scratched himself on rock and lost an eye. He wouldn't come out to eat enough after that and in spite of attempts to target feed starved to death. Now I see my sailfin tang with a gash in his head almost 1 cm long! Are these guys really scratching themselves or could...
  11. D

Bubble Blowing Foxface possibly sick?

Anyone have a foxface that does this? Mine goes to the top of the tank and gulps air then blows bubbles from his mouth and gills. He also spits water out of the tank so I have salt water drips down the side of my tank when I get home every day. Most of the time he is just swimming around...
  12. D

Sump Transfer

I've been running with an e-shopps sump and skimmer and their design is terrible. You would think that by using both from the same manufacturer they would work well together but with the skimmer hanging on the side of the sump the pickup tube does not reach the water line. I put an extension on...
  13. D

Aged Water? How long is OK?

I generally mix my water on Saturday, then do my water change on Sunday. The water is mixed with a power head saturday and again on Sunday just to make sure everything tests out ok before I do the change. I have some water that has been in my garage for over a week with no powerhead or flow of...
  14. D

Measuring light output?

I have two of the 23.5" panorama LED units over a 48" tank. I can't get the specs to copy and paste nicely but they are at the link below. http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PanoramaSystem_Specs.pdf The question is, how do you measure light output to know for sure...
  15. D

Is this a predator?

I just saw this little thing, it is about 1 cm in length. Is this something bad? I just got back from a 2 week vacation and my clam was dead. Did a water change yesterday and noticed this little guy this am. Just curious if he is something bad? Thanks, Dawn