Recent content by DoctorR

1. D

Red Green War Coral Receding

My red/green war coral that I've had for 6 years has suddenly started receding over the past week--about 1/2 inch per day.  It seems to be triggered by a change in my LEDs but I started the new lights with less intensity than the old thinking the corals would need to adjust. It looks to me like...
  2. D

Photon 48-V2 question

Does anyone have any opinions/feedback they could give regarding the Photon 48 V-2?  Any help would be appreciated. 
  3. D

Skimmer overflowing

I have a SC-S250 skimmer that has started overflowing every 2 - 3 days. Not sure what's changed because I've been running for almost 2 years now without this issue. The air line seems to be clear. Skims great for several days and then I come home to find it pushing clear water out the top. ?Any...
  4. D

Help Save this Coral

Can anyone tell me what's going on with this coral (Link to pics below)? I moved it to a new tank last week and it's dying off very quickly. Water parameters are the same. The only difference is that the old tank had halide lighting and the new one has LEDs. Any advice would be appreciated...
  5. D

Overrun by blue/purple shrooms

My 110 gal is getting overrun with blue/purple mushrooms. I've started swapping out some of the rock but I have a large colony attached to the back glass of the tank. What is the best way to get them under control?
  6. D

live rock after tank crash

My 55 gal crashed last week. I was able to save most of the fish and corals by moving them over to another tank. Is the live rock safe to move over as well?
  7. D

cleaner shrimp compatibility

I would like to add a couple of cleaner shrimp into my 110 gal tank but I have a hawaiian flame hawk that is already established in it. Any compatibility issues?
  8. D

ro question

I have 2, 45 gallon plastic Brut barrels that I use for water changes. I mix one and use the water in it; when gone, I mix the other and use it--usually 6 weeks later. Is it a bad idea to store the RO water in the second barrel for so long?
  9. D

looking for an aquascaper

I'm looking for a fellow enthusiast who has an eye for aquascaping and would be willing to help me redesign my 110 reef tank--lots of live rock, sand, and coral to work with. I live in SW Fort Worth.
  10. D

connector for icecap ballast

I recently purchased an Icecap ballast for a 250w halide light. The light was hardwired into the previous ballast and now I cannot find the male connector that is needed for the Icecap ballast. Any suggestions where I might look? I have checked Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Lowes. Thanks.
  11. D

tank overload

I just aquired two large tangs (both 6"- 7") from a friend who was downsizing his tank. They are now in my 110 gal (25 gal refugium) with 2 - 3" angels, a medium flame hawk, 1 - 4" hippo, a medium clown, and lots of soft corals and live rock. For the past three years I've just done a 10%...
  12. D

sump pump problems

I recently purchased a Eheim 1250 Hobby Pump (320 gph with a max head of 6.5 feet at 28 watts. Input 16/22 mm, output 12/16 mm). After installing it on my 110 gallon saltwater aquarium, I quickly realized that the pump was not nearly powerful enough. In fact, there is barely any flow through...
  13. D

Coralline Algae issue

I had to relocate my 110 gal tank last week and I guess the coralline algae did not survive the two hour trip because it has now turned white and is flaking off. The corals are doing fine and the parameters are good. Should I leave the the dead algae or try to get it out of the tank?
  14. D

Preferred Salt Mix?

I've been using TropicMarin Reef salt for about a year now. My corals seem to like it but the cost is getting prohibitive. Are their cheaper salts that are just as effective?
  15. D

tang compatibility?

I need to move an adult yellow tang into a 110 gallon tank where an an adult mimic tang has been residing for several years. Bad idea???