Recent content by dnkygirl

1. D

Clown fish Identification

Hi, I need some help. I ordered 2 ocellaris clowns online, but what i got was one super reddish orange that's about 1 1/2 and a yellowish orange that's 2". They don't look like the same species to me. What do you think?
  2. D

Carbon Question

Hi, How often do you change out your carbon filter? I know they have a short life span, but i have not been able to isolate the length of time that you can actually use it without having it leech. Anyone know? I've been changing mine out weekly... I have it running in a reactor along with my...
  3. D

Coralife HQI Pro Mod

Ok so i didn't want to buy a new fixture.. so i modded my old one. Here's what's needed: 1) 250w retro kit from Hellolights.. cost $142.95 Plus shipping 2) Hack saw 3) Electrical cabling 4) Electrical tape. Steps: 1) Open up the unit and move the existing reflector along with it's power...
  4. D

salinity problems

Hi All, I've been out of the hobby for about a year and recently purchased a slightly bigger tank 46 gal from a member. I am past the cycling stage now and into month 2. I have lots of pods and critters crawling around along with cyano in my refugium and brown diatoms in the display area. I...
  5. D

Need help starting over

Hi All, I have a 40 gal breeder that was absolutely beautiful until i moved. Once i got it set back up i started having lots of problems with algea and can't get rid of it. I use made water from a reverse osmosis unit and my tds has always tested 0. I have decided to break the tank down and...
  6. D

Resealing a Leaking Tank

Hi All, I was looking at the for sale boards and saw a deal, but wanted to know if there's anyone local that reseals tanks? About how long do the seals last any way? Demi
  7. D

Phophate Reactors

Hi, I have been battling green hair algae for a long time and am seriously thinking about adding a phosphate reactor. This is a new realm for me... and I am looking for any information I can get on them. It's really frustrating.. having the GHA problem. All my parameters are in check... PH...
  8. D

Coraline Everywhere

Hi, I know that most people would love to have this problem, but it's really starting to bug me. I have an extreme purple coraline break out all over the tank. I can't keep the front and side glass clear. Is there any other way outside of having to scrape everyday to slow it down some? Demi
  9. D

Hair Algae Help!!!!!

Hi all, Help I have killer hair algea..... my water quality is testing fine, but this stuff just won't go away. I have tried manually pulling it all off of every single rock and it's ok for a month then it returns. My bulbs are only a few months old as far as the lighting goes. What am i...
  10. D

Lighting Schedule For Newbie Halide Lighting

Hi all, I've decided to upgrade from my 96watt compacts to a 150 watt HQI metal halide setup. Kinda low end for halide, but enough for me to start adding a choice few sps corals. I have a few lps corals now that rest high up in the tank this will be great chance for me to move them around now...
  11. D

Battling the red slime

[Hi all, Ok for the past month or so I have been battling it out with the red slime. I did have a problem with my ro/di unit and i just replaced all the filters. Yeah the tds was about 4-6ppm. Do i need to do a big water change or is there something else i need to do to get rid of this stuff?]
  12. D

Feather duster worms

[Hi all, Ok i started out with one rock with about 5-6 of them.... now.. i have 25 or more all over the tank. I have not tried to pull them off or anything.. can these guys be fragged?]
  13. D

How can you tell if it's tempered? - Glass question

[Hello, I am thinking about having my tank drilled, but want to make sure it's not tempered glass first. How can you tell if glass is tempered? It was manufactured by All Glass Aqariums... that's about all i can say about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!]
  14. D

How to setup a qt tank

[Ahggg ich got me need help on setting up a QT tank. I got an 18 gal filled with old tank water. Has a heater, powerhead running... got some copper treatment. Am i missing anything? Not running any sand or rocks... or filter...]
  15. D

Strange or normal - Finger leather dying?

[Hi All, I have had this guy for about 6 months. It molts from time to time, but this is the first time I've seen it just drop a few fingers off then heal up... on the side they dropped off.... Now i have like 3 fingers that are still living and the polyps are opening on them... is this normal...