Recent content by disbjohn

1. D

looking for metal fabricators

I'm looking for a metal fabricator that can work with bending and welding aluminum. Do y'all know anybody or have any recommendations?
  2. D

black silicone and acrylic fix

I'm putting in a false wall for my picotope. Does anybody know where can i get black silicone locally? Also, A part of my acrylic wall broke and I was wanting to attach it back. Could I use 2 part epoxy or should I just use weldon? Thanks
  3. D

24G Nanocube with LED's

After 10 months after selling off my Solana and moving, my girlfriend surprised me on my birthday with a 24G Nanocube! I was intrigued with the LED lighting of good par, low heat, and having the shimmering effect like MH's. I got a retro done by Unique LED to my hood with a total of 18 LED's (...
  4. D

Reefbuddy DIY Controller for $89

I was just browsing RC and ran across this DIY controller kit in the works that is open source. Finally a really affordable solution for all aquarists.. :D http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1629397
  5. D

Anemone in a nano?

Would a nano 8 or 12 be way too small to keep an anem?
  6. D

My 180 Tank Log

Well it's been a little over 2 years since I first started out. I went from a 29 to a 72 and now a 180. I've learned so much from everybody here and on RC and I'm glad to have such a great club here in the DFW area. At one point I was about to get out and sell off my 72, but I just had the itch...
  7. D

Chiller Question

I have a inline chiller and was wondering if it's ok to run the pump that supplies the chiller only when the chiller kicks on. Also, would 500GPH be ok for a 1/3HP chiller?
  8. D

Anybody use Reeflux 12k DE bulbs?

It's about that time for me to get new lights. I Was wondering if anybody has tried the 12k Reeflux DE bulbs.
  9. D

Adding new sand to tank quesetion

My tank is currently barebottom and am looking to add sand to it. If I do this, will there be adverse effects such as a mini cycle?
  10. D

Thinking of getting new skimmer..

I've been thining of getting another skimmer for some time and have it down to either the Tunze 9010 or the DAS BX-1. Does anybody have any experience with either of these? I currently have an ASM G2 with the recirc and direct feed mod. The only big issue is that it takes up quite a bit of...
  11. D

tunze skimmers

I've been trying to look around for another skimmer. I currently have an ASM G2 and am thinking about upgrading to something different. My skimmer doesn't seem to be consistent with the output. Most of the time all the gunk builds up in the neck and not much skimmate actually collects in the cup...
  12. D

Algae and OceanPure salt

I'm not sure if it's the salt or what...but I've been getting this stringy brown algae all over my tank. It looks like it's coming from tube worms that are spewing out the stringy mess. It starts off clear, then it becomes brown. I was using Kent salt before, and when I changed over to...
  13. D

kent salt replacement

Doh...I keep forgetting to send off my salt sample. Thanks for the reminder.
  14. D

CO2 Refills in Arlington

After a stop at Airgas and Tex-Air in Arlington/G.P. and a few phone calls to liquor stores, they couldn't refill my co2 tank on location. They suggested that I look up fire extinguisher shops so I found one... Kimbrough Fire Extinguisher in Arlington and they do refills! For a 20lb refill it...
  15. D

My 24 Aquapod Seahorse tank Journal

Well after much reading and research, along with the significant other's request, I have decided to set up a seahorse tank. The tank that I will be using is the Current 24G Aquapod. I had debated getting the MH version or the one with PC lighting since I did like the open top design, but I ended...