Recent content by David Gibson

1. D

Another long time absent member peeking back in

Howdy folks!  I see some familiar names still around.  Glad to see you guys. I tore down my 90g some time ago, but have kept a 20g going all these years with my original breeding clowns.  Going through selling the house and looking to buy bigger.  If I do, maybe I'll give a big tank another shot.
  2. D

Karen Brittain is at it again with P venusta

Pretty exciting stuff being posted by Karen Brittain on her blog about her attempts to spawn and rear Paracentropyge venusta (Japanese pygmy angelfish). Go read more here: http://fromfisheggstofry.blogspot.com/ She became one of my heroes when she was able to successfully raise Genicanthus...
  3. D

Kicking them out of the house!

My baby fish are now just over four months old. With this being my first attempt at raising them, I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, and lost a lot of them. I now have 18 that look strong and healthy. Which means it is time to start finding them homes. I have a good working...
  4. D

Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris

<u>[Breeding Journal DataSheet] </u> [This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system] [[<u>General </u>]] Species: Amphiprion ocellaris Social Structure: pair Size of Individuals: F: 4" M: 3" Age of...
  5. D

Suggest a puffer

My girlfriend has absolutely fallen in love with every puffer fish that we've walked by in every fish store we've ever gone into. So, now I'm looking for some suggestions on one that might work in my tank. I have a 90g mixed reef: mostly zoas and LPS, a couple of choice SPS pieces. Other fish...
  6. D

3/4" drain - okay or drill it?

I have certainly never been accused of rushing my aquarium builds. My 90g that I won at Next Wave two years ago is no exception. I've finally gotten to the point of doing plumbing and discovered an issue. The bulkheads in the tank were installed backwards and siliconed into place. When I...
  7. D

How to create a Breeding Journal

To create your Breeding Journal you need to follow the guidelines below: <ol>The thread subject should be "Breeding Journal, Species: [Species]" where [Species] is the SCIENTIFIC NAME of the species in the journal. Copy the following code and paste it into the first post of your thread. This...
  8. D

What is the MBI?, Submitting Reports, MBI Signature

The core of the MBI (Marine Breeding Initiative) is a universal Marine Breeders? Award Program (BAP). Learning from freshwater aquarium BAPs and leveraging modern technology, the MBI Council created the MBI as a modern system of documenting, reporting, verifying, scoring, and ranking for...
  9. D

Starting to dose

I've had my 55g up since 2008, and have always maintained water parameters through water changes. I do not have a densely packed tank, or heavily dominated by demanding corals, so it's worked well enough in the past. That has changed in the recent months though. I've seen low Alk, Ca and Mg...
  10. D

Anyone interested in Sybon salt locally?

I was in Reef Remedies earlier this week, talking to Alex, and he mentioned that he was interested in trying Sybon's salt. He also said he'd like to get a pallet of it in if there were people in the club interested in doing a group buy. I don't need salt at the moment, but if there's someone...
  11. D

can i mix sand

I'm pretty sure that any bacteria that you get in bagged live sand should be fine if you mix in dry sand. As long as you're not stirring up an old established DSB.
  12. D

Frag Swap - bio filter?

Tomorrow is going to be my first Frag Swap that I've done from the selling side of things. Considering the relatively short amount of time the corals will be available, is it worthwhile to bother with biological filtration? I have a small HOB power filter that I have a sponge in the sump for...
  13. D

Paint choices

I'm in the beginning process of upgrading to that lovely 90g tank I won at Next Wave. I've gotten a new stand and canopy and the first thing I want to do is paint the inside of both white. So, what are my best options to go for painting? Of course, both will need to be salt water proof, but...
  14. D

Modifying a T5 retro kit from 36" to 48"

I currently have a 36" T5 retro kit in my current canopy and I'm upgrading to a 48" tank. I was thinking I can simply rebuild the retro kit mount and reuse the endcaps and wiring from the existing lights. I currently have an IceCap 660 ballast running four 39w bulbs, so I'm pretty sure the...
  15. D

Powdered latex gloves

I have an unopened box of powdered latex gloves, but I'm hesitant to use them when handling corals. Is there anything in the powder that would be a problem, or are they safe to use?