Zoas all closed up ??? Help! what to do ???

Any color change from the poly?? That was a lot of iodine btw, hopefully that wasn't lugol's..that stuff is really strong. :wink: I wol keep running poly and carbon and "gasp" :shock: another water change. Hope all turns out well. :)

"Poly Filter turns color when removing medications (Blue with copper, Red with iron, Green with ammonia, etc.)."

Cheers,

Is that alk in dkh or meq/l???

If its dkh, that is way low. If meq/l that is way high at about 12.5-13 dkh.

Softies are sensitive to that kind of thing...

4.5 meq is kinda high side of normal real close to abnormal I would lower your alk dosage but stop dosing till you get it under control. Do some small water changes test your new water to make sure alk ph ca are in range before you add it to your tank

if your dKH is 4.5 that is extremely low. It should be between 8 and 11. IMO right around 11 is perfect.

Mike, what test kit is that where you divide/multiply....

Oh, and maybe a big refreshing water change would help? :wink:

I personally don't think 12.5dkh is the problem here. I have had mine that high and didn't have anything close up but as alway's.... YMMV. :D

Cheers,

This may be odd but I've seen a pattern where a lot of folk's corals, mainly zoas seem to whither around the same time across the area. Perhaps the low pressure weather systems have an impact.

I lost 2 small colonies of zoas a couple months ago. But most of my zoas lived and werent affected. Sometimes zoanthids just get sick and die. They are suceptible to some diseases. search zoanthid diseases and you'll find lots of info.

One more thing to check... Recently, my Zoas had closed up and I removed all mechanical and chemical filter media - 2 days after doing this they opened up and my algae issues have started to subside.

Just wondering - if you might have something that may have gone biologicial or is leaching something into the water.

Anytime I see a coral acting different, I always start by removing low-risk variables such as mechanical filtration.