Zoanthids are closing up

Lately I have noticed a large colony of zoos have been slowly closing up. They havent been fully extending for several days now. I have kept a close watch on them for the last week, and havent seen any nudibranchs, other pests or fish nipping at them. Let me know what you think. Sorry for the blurry picture. BTW they are softball size and I have had them for around 8-9 months.

If I do a dip, what and how should I do it. Thanks alot.

Check your salinity, and then have your LFS check it as well. If you are up near 1.028sg, it <u>may</u> be the problem.

I recently lost a colony of zoas in pretty much the same fashion. I never figured out exactly what happened..but all my other colonies appear just fine. Hope yours turn around for ya.

All the other zoas in the tank are doing great, just this one rock. I will check the salinity and have it checked at fish paradise tomorrow. Thanks for the info, and any other comments are appreciated.

Landon, after all the recent articles about the zoo spiders, I had a colony close up like that. I pried it off the rock, dip a simple RODI dip, and found SIX spiders! They looked like tiny hairs, and I pulled them off with tweezers. They are so small, you will never see them until they loosen their grip in plain water.

And it only took a few minutes.

I'm still waiting for the zoos to reopen, but it's only been a couple of days. (I'm also wondering if I got them all.)

I left mine in for about 4 minutes, and saw the spiders after about 3. Picked them off as fast as I could, and acclimated the zoos back to the tank.

If you have a holding area / frag tank / whatever, you might put them back in there, rather than the main tank, just to watch them and see if they recover. I don't, so they had to go back to the main.

4-6 minutes RO water temp adjusted. Add a drop of Lugol's and a drop of Flatworm Exit if you have them.