Yellow Tang and Purple tang....Thoughts

dfwflyr

Membership Expired
I have a medium size yellow tang who is a bit of an ass. He has toned down the attitude a bit lately. My other half wants a purple Tang. I have seen mixed reviews on keeping these two fish together. Im running a 125 with a regal blue tang and some anthias and a pair of clowns. Any suggestions on getting a purple tang into the mix? I dont want to make a $200 mistake here.

I don't have any experience with yellow or purple tangs personally, but you would probably have to take the yellow out and introduce them at the same time.

Yellows can be really mean, especially if he's been in the tank a while... He will most likely bully any fish with a similar body style as his. You can try and rearrange the rock work at the same time you introduce a new fish. If you have a QT set up you can catch and QT the yellow after the new fish is ready to come out of QT and into the DT.

I had a yellow and in a 75 gal. I had to let them sort it out and they devided the tank in half. One on each side.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yeah trying to catch that yellow is a challenge. I figured I could buy some more live rock and make a couple more caves and change up the environment to help.

I've had a purple for a while and he is pretty mean . . . until he got moved out for a while and was the last one back in the tank. Now the PBT, which happens to be the smallest of the tangs, is the one running around kicking everyone's butt.

@Mike wrote:
I've had a purple for a while and he is pretty mean . . . until he got moved out for a while and was the last one back in the tank. Now the PBT said:
There's always gotta be an alpha dog!....lol. I had a desjardini that got outta control with his aggression. Sold him and my tank became more tranquil almost immediately. Other fish that were scared and hid in the rock work the majority of the time started coming out and exploring more. The yellow is now the boss and is becoming a bully, but no where near what the desjardini was.

Yeah, my purple used to terrorize the Blue Hippo to the point where it always hid in rockwork. It would leave everyone else alone though. The PBT had the Blue Hippo, Purple, and Aussie Dussemieri to chase around all at once and just gave up. Everyone just tends to school together now hoping for food.

They are going to initial fight no matter what you do. Ensure the purple tang is of equal or bigger size. The red sea fish can hold their own.