Xenia and pipe organ dying.

tthomas81

Membership Expired
The pipe organ slowly went into it's skeleton and the Xenia does not look very healthy today.

Does anyone know where I might have went wrong?

Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .5

Coral beauty angel
Maroon clown
Mandarin goby
Royal gramma
Zoas & polyps

All doing well.

They are in a 29 gallon biocube with PC's.

Temp swing? I know my xenia get pissed when it's too hot in my BC. Or if it cooled too rapidly due to the weather change that could lead to unhappy corals. How long have they been this way? Can you test alk and pH? I have found that xenia is somewhat temperamental in my AIO tanks - my zoas and LPS will look fine and the xenia will retract for no apparent reason - you might give it a day or two and see if it recovers on its own.

However, there are two things that can never hurt: water change and running carbon.

There was huge temp swing yesterday and that may have caused the xenia to respond this way. I completed a water change yesterday and also added carbon so it sounds like I am off to a good start towards recovery.

Is anyone familiar to Pipe Organs and if the temp swing may be the cause for them to retract?

Soft corals kind of just do that once every month or two for me. They seem to all do it at the same time too. My SPS and LPS will still look great... but my softies will all retract. I haven't figured mine out yet... but they're usually all back looking fine after a day or two. It doesn't seem to be linked to any of my maintenance like water changes or cleaning or anything. However... I also don't have those exact corals so I'm not sure how bad those are actually looking.