Would I be crazy to try this?

tesfeld

Premium Member
Someone posted a couple weeks ago about their coral eating chocolate chip starfish. I have been procrastinating for almost a year about removing all of the rock with gsp, xenia, palythoa, and yellow polyps on it to cook it off. I was considering getting a CCSF and letting him work his way through it for me. My only softies and gsp that I care about are out on the sand freestanding or on island rocks. If I babysit him and ban him to the sump when I can't watch, is it a crazy plan?

Is that all they feed on? Sounds like a great idea with very close supervision. Let me know if you try it and if it works. I have the same problems here!!!

Only two issues I've come across. One is that they'll eat my herms and snails if they catch them. Two, they'll eat a BTA. Easier to remove those things than 1/3 of my rock...

I guess another option is to keep him in the 20L in my garage and put rock in there one at a time so he can clean it.

Tony, I was thinking the same thing.. put him and the rock in your prop section, or sump, or.. somewhere..

I used to do something similar with peppermint shrimp. Since my Bangaii's were into fresh peps for a while, I put the peps in the fuge and moved pieces of rock down there one or two at a time for them to eat the aptasia.

I like the "move the rock to be cleaned to an isolation tank" idea too... They'll also eat clams, from the lil' research I did, I just wouldn't trust him in my main tank... "bad" things have such skill at disappearing when they want to, ya' know...

Oh, another thought! If he's in an isolation tank "cleaning" the rock, if he's too slow, tape pictures of Harlequin Shrimp to the sides of the tank to motivate him! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

need fresh rock? I have about 90 lbs of "base Rock" that is Dry marshall Island. Plus I don't mind trading rock out of my Tank for rocks with bother some outragous growth of gsp and the other nasty buggers you want out of your tank. LMK Breezy